Finance Coordinator, Research Administration
Drexel University was founded in Philadelphia in 1891 to provide educational opportunities for women and men of all backgrounds. Now, as a comprehensive research university with over 26,000 students across its 15 colleges and schools, Drexel’s strength in co-operative education, experiential learning, and translational research provides its students and faculty with excellent opportunities for career success. Known for innovation and dramatic growth, Drexel has earned top rankings from U.S. News & World Report, appearing among its Top 100 National Universities for the past seven years and on its Best Colleges list for the past 11 years.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Finance, the Finance Coordinator performs a variety of functions related to business and financial operations in support of the activities and functions of the Office of Research. These functions include but are not limited to procurement, billing, payment management, journal entries, and other duties as directed by the Assistant Director of Finance. The position will be responsible for the fulfillment of established University and Office of Research policies and procedures to ensure appropriate compliance, fiscal controls, budget management, fund stewardship, and fiscal accountability.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 1 year required experience.
- Education and experience as outlined above
- Possess excellent oral, written, analytical, presentation, project management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Possess knowledge of the functions of the organization and the interaction of the Office of Research with other parts of the organization
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Detail-oriented and able to multitask
- Financial experience required, budgeting experience preferred
- Ability to function independently as well as work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Experience working across disciplines or in interdisciplinary academic settings
- Knowledge of Web Finance, Web Salary, Banner, Hyperion, and other Drexel University financial management tools a plus
- Possess strong customer service focus
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and to effectively collaborate with programmatic, administrative, and development colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
1. Support team members in advising the Executive Directors, Institute Directors, Core Facility Directors, and Senior Vice Provost on spending, financial objectives, and policies of all affiliated units
2. Handle purchasing, memberships, and contracts for the Office of Research, working directly with Procurement and Office of the General Counsel as needed
3. Assist with ensuring transactions are properly recorded and entered into financial systems such as Banner, Smart Source, and WebFinance
4. Manage the billing and payment process for all research core facilities with the Office of Research, including required journal entries
5. Assist in tracking and reconciling account revenue, expenses, and account details for all Office of Research orgs and funds
6. Assist in ensuring rate compliance with accounting standards for research core facilities
7. Assist with clinical trial research billing with affiliate sites and sponsors, and research participant payment cards as needed
8. Review P-card statements for compliance with University policies on a monthly basis for approval by AVP of Research Operations and Compliance
9. Make journal entries in support of Office of Research operations as needed, including funding transfers, transaction corrections, and internal research awards
10. Assist in the budget process for each fiscal year as needed
11. Assist in financial reporting and data collection for sponsored research as needed
12. Assist in the preparation of administrative documents related to fund creation, payroll, system access, and other operational requirements as needed (e.g., Personnel Action Forms, Payroll Resolution Forms, Authorization to Hire forms, WebFinance access forms).
Supplemental Posting Information:
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigation.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=84178 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Finance Coordinator. The requisition number 9451.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.