Graphic Design Instructor
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a “R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity” and recognized as a Carnegie Community Engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as business, engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy and is ranked second in Florida in Forbes Magazine’s “America’s Best Employers” list. FIU graduates are consistently among the highest paid college graduates in Florida and are among the leaders of public and private organizations throughout South Florida. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission with multiple state-of-the-art research facilities including the Wall of Wind Research and Testing Facility, FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program and the Advanced Materials Engineering Research Institute. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, [email protected], the Miami Beach Urban Studios, and Tianjin, China. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
Graphic Design Instructor
The Art + Art History Department of Florida International University seeks an artist/designer with a significant creative practice and/or research to teach courses in Graphic Design, and to provide leadership in the development and shaping of a design curriculum in an environment committed to critical inquiry across disciplines. An ability to address current design concerns such as interactivity, user-centered innovation, environmental, experience-based and/or social design is desirable. Interest and experience in design history, founding studio practices such as typography, letterpress or printmaking are also advantageous. This is a full-time, non-tenure earning Instructor position to commence in August 2019.
Preference will be given to candidates showing evidence of exceptional teaching and ability to engage in the theoretical and critical discourses of contemporary art and design in practice and pedagogy. The candidate should have an innovative vision for curriculum development that capitalizes upon the transformative capacity of design in a global context. Salary is competitive with peer institutions and commensurate with quality and output of teaching experience, and creative practice.
- Teach courses primarily in visual communication/graphic design, and including undergraduate independent studies and thesis
- Develop design curricula emphasizing a diversity of conceptual and technical practices
- Mentoring, and service to the department and University
- Ability to engage in cross-disciplinary teaching and interacting with all studio students in critiques and studio visits
- MFA degree from an accredited institution with an emphasis in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Studio Art, or equivalent degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of historical and contemporary trends in the field of graphic design
- Expertise in digital technologies for design
- A minimum of three years teaching experience at the university level
- Experience as a practicing graphic designer
- Experience with creating/teaching web design, UI/UX design, and other emerging technologies
- Experience with teaching the integration of new technologies across disciplines
- Interest in interdisciplinary research and practice linking art and design to other fields in the humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and technology
- A demonstrated concern for global perspective and ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the university's continuing commitment to cultural diversity
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 516912 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu. Please submit the following documents as a single PFD file:
- Cover letter stating how the applicant’s interests, experience and qualifications fulfill the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement addressing current creative work
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Portfolio and support materials including twenty digital files representing creative work and scholarly activities
- Digital files of student work created under the applicant’s supervision.
- Sample syllabi for digital arts courses.
- Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for three current references who will be contacted as determined by the search committee.
- Finalists will be asked to submit official transcripts and three letters of recommendation
Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three references, who will be contacted as determined by the search committee. To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by 1 March 2019. Review will continue until the position is filled. All questions regarding the search should be directed to the Search Committee Co-Chairs: Mirta Del Valle ([email protected]), and William Maguire ([email protected]).
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.