Associate Dean/Director of Health
Job location: Bentley Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-01-17
Job Description Summary*Witt/Kieffer is exclusively recruiting for this position. Please submit your resume and cover letter to Sheila Murphy at [email protected]*
The Associate Dean for Health, Wellness and Counseling will provide leadership and vision, consistent with the mission and vision of the university and division, for the Centers for Health, Wellness and Counseling at Bentley University. This includes assuring high quality, coordinated, collaborative health care and counseling which is responsive to the needs of students and the university.
The Centers assist students to live up to their academic potential through optimizing their health and wellness; furthering the growth and development of adult responsibilities and preventing or minimizing public health, health and mental health disruptions of campus life; and to providing consultation to the Bentley University community on health, counseling and wellness issues.
The Associate Dean will directly supervise the associate director of the Health Center, the director of Wellness and Health Promotion and the director of the Counseling Center as well as the staff of the Health Center.
The Associate Dean will serve as an expert consultant for medical providers and decision maker in critical clinical and administrative situations and provide clinical consultation and expertise to the Vice-President of Student Affairs.
- Provide overall management of the Health Center, Counseling Center and Wellness and Health Promotion in a collaborative care model under the supervision of the Vice-President/Dean for Student Affairs. Keep collaboration and marketing of the shared mission and goals in the forefront.
- Provide medical expert consultation to the VP/Dean in critical student or community public health situations.
- Provide risk management regarding student health and wellbeing for the university.
- Provide clinical service up to 1.5 days per week depending on need in a manner consistent with the expectations outlined for all Nurse Practitioner Providers.
- Work with the Directors of Counseling and Wellness to develop specific goals/objectives which reflect the mission and goals/objectives of the university and the Division.
- Provide clinical oversight, management and mentorship for the Directors of Counseling and Wellness as well as clinical oversight, management and mentorship and consultation for clinical staff in the Health Center for clinical matters consistent with the policies and procedures set up for the center and consistent with the standards of the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care. Set a high standard for clinical health care and counseling to maintain care which is high quality and meets the physical, emotional and social needs of the students in the Bentley University community.
- Supervise clinical primary care in the Health Center provided by nurse practitioners to students in accordance with established clinical guidelines. Write NP/Physician Consultant Agreement in collaboration with the contracted physician consultants. And select Health Center clinical guidelines in collaboration with the physician-consultant and the advanced practice clinicians. Establish quality assurance systems to improve risk management and quality of care. Implement current trends on management of university health systems. Oversee the Director of Counseling who will establish quality guidelines consistent with their accreditation body, International Association of Counseling Services and counseling standards of care.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and with medical and legal guidelines for health care in the Health Center. Supervise the maintenance of comprehensive medical records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Coordinate and implement a program of review of immunizations of students to prevent a disease outbreak on campus and to ensure compliance with Massachusetts Immunization Laws. Ensure compliance with OSHA and infection control regulations. Ensure compliance with state nursing and prescription writing regulations and general standards of medical care through maintenance of current licenses, certifications, DEA licenses, Massachusetts Controlled Substance licenses, Tuberculin testing, CPR certifications of all clinical staff as indicated by regulation, law or standards. Oversee the directors of Counseling and Wellness who are responsible for the relevant above areas in the Counseling Center and Wellness areas.
- Maintain effective communication throughout the Health Center, Counseling Center and Wellness areas, including ensuring the linkage between quality management and improvement and other management activities.
- Develop and manage the Health Center’s budget in a fiscally responsible manner and oversee the same for the Counseling Center and Wellness areas.
- Recruit, hire, orient, supervise, evaluate, adjust schedules and terminate clinical and office staff in compliance with Human Resources and the University goal of diversity and EEO guidelines.
- Provide smooth functioning of the centers by developing, monitoring and evaluating systems to improve efficiency, productivity and quality of care.
- Develop office policies/procedures specific to the Health Center while integrating guidelines of the American Association of Ambulatory Care Accreditation and risk management principles.
- Develop, execute and administer service contracts with service providers used to in the administration and clinical functioning of the Health Center.
- Chair the Student Health Insurance Committee.
- Oversee Accreditation process for the Health Center; Review and amend all policies and procedures annually with input from Associate Director along with consideration of staff suggestions; Meet with each accreditation committee to ensure accreditation on target and being done - oversee efforts; serve as Chair of the Governing Body for accreditation; serve as Co-Chair Quality Improvement and Risk Committee for accreditation. Oversee director of the Counseling Center in accreditation activities with IACS.
- Assessment is a key function of this position. Regular Satisfaction Surveys should be done and evaluated and changes implemented as needed.
- Attend internal and external meeting as required such as (but not limited to) Student Affairs Directors’ meetings; CARE team; the Emergency Management Team; Diversity Council, Title IX Committee, International Graduate Student Organization, LGBTQ Task Force.
- Collaborate with all offices on campus to best meet health, counseling and wellness needs of students - specifically Counseling Center, Wellness, Residential Center, University Police, Multicultural Center, Disability Services, Center for International Students and Scholars, Student Programs and Engagement (club sports and greek organizations), Athletics, Spiritual Life, Student Financial Services among others. Collaborate with students through annual presentation with Counseling and Wellness to Student Government and other student and administrative groups.
- Provide reports on time as required for the VP/Dean of Students. Regular reports include Quarterly Trustee Reports, Annual Report, Assessment Report and Compliance Report. Additional reports to be done as requested by the Associate Dean or VP/Dean of Students.
- Attend events of general importance to the student body and the Division of Student Affairs. Participate in orientation, residence life training and other campus presentations and programs as needed.
- Maintain membership in professional organizations and attend conferences, workshops related to the overall health of college students and student life.
- Develop strong working relationships with key off-campus medical and psychological professionals including those in private practices, local clinics and hospitals, in the Department of Public Health and in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Ensure that Website for Health, Counseling and Wellness is up to date
- MS or doctorate in clinical health field, Master’s or Doctorate in Nursing practice preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of strong clinical experience and expertise and 3 years of increasing overall team and financial management experience.
- Experience in using electronic medical records, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, computerized scheduling and immunization tracking.
- Massachusetts Registered Nurse License with Massachusetts Approval to Practice in the Expanded Role for Nurse Practitioners; National Board Certification as an Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner (or ability to obtain licensure)
- The position requires sitting, walking and standing and use of computer, printer, scanner.
- Occasionally requires running to a person in urgent need of services usually within the office setting and the ability to assist a client to stand or walk (when able to do so unassisted.)
- Special equipment routinely used includes: Microscope, Vaginal Speculum, bandages and dressings, stethoscope, forceps, tweezers, ace bandages, otoscope, splints and slings, crutches, ophthalmoscope, vacutainer tubes and needles (for blood and urine), syringes, needles, medication vials, computer, printer and scanner.
- Will need to be available during outside normal business hours for various campus events and meetings
- Some travel is required for this position for student events and off campus seminars, meetings and conferences
- Daily exposure to communicable diseases through direct contact and through the handling of biological specimens (blood, urine, and vomitus etc).
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.DIVERSITY STATEMENTBentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.