Data Services Specialist
Data Services Specialist
Job no: 496207
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Library & IT
Reporting to and working closely with the Director of Research Services and Information Literacy, the Data Services Specialist provides comprehensive data services in support of the University’s teaching, learning, and research needs. In this newly created position, the Data Services Specialist will be responsible for designing services and programs to support research data management and data literacy, as well as developing policies and procedures for data curation, sharing, and reuse at Bucknell. As part of the Research Services team, this position will provide instructional and research support for students, faculty, and staff, working closely with data-intensive courses, assignments, and research projects across the disciplines. Additionally, this position will work closely with the Director of Digital Pedagogy and Scholarship to help support Library & IT’s robust programs in GIS and digital scholarship across the University. We seek candidates who embrace flexibility and a willingness to expand or shift their range of responsibilities to meet evolving campus needs.
- Partners with students, faculty, and academic staff to support data-intensive courses, assignments, and research projects across the university
- Provides support for use of statistical software packages, such as: SPSS, Stata, R, SAS, Nvivo
- Designs services and programs to support data literacy for undergraduate students
- Designs services and programs to support research data management across disciplines
- Consults with faculty and other campus partners on the development of data management plans for grant applications
- Works with appropriate university constituents to develop policies and procedures for data curation, sharing, and reuse at Bucknell
- Performs outreach to increase awareness of data services and resources provided by the library
- Possibility of liaison duties with one or more academic departments, based on experience and institutional needs
- Master's degree plus two (2) years of experience OR bachelor's degree plus 5 years of experience in data analysis, data management, and/or data curation
- Demonstrated experience with one or more statistical software packages, such as: SPSS, Stata, R, SAS, Nvivo
- Ability to provide reference and instruction services across disciplines
- Understanding of trends in data management throughout the research lifecycle, including creation, analysis, preservation, access, and reuse of research data
- Demonstrated experience with writing and implementing data management plans
- Knowledge of federal, open, and proprietary data resources
- Flexibility and willingness to expand or shift range of responsibilities to meet evolving campus needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other Library & IT staff, students, faculty, and staff
- We seek a candidate whose experience and expertise will contribute to Bucknell’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Strong interest in working with undergraduate students
- Familiarity with GIS-related software, such as: ArcGIS or QGIS
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 15 Jan 2019 Eastern Standard Time