RESEARCH AND EDUCATION LIBRARIAN, SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
RESEARCH AND EDUCATION LIBRARIAN, SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Posting Number: SRGV3721
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Education and Academic Affairs
Scope of Job:
Under general supervision, this position facilitates the integration of library resources and services into the medical school curriculum where they will be most effective; provides reference assistance and library use instruction to students, faculty, and other library users.
Description of Duties:
• Participates in developing, conducting and evaluating the library education programs for students, residents, faculty and staff in the School of Medicine. Oversees the scheduling of instructional programs.
• Works with faculty to integrate information retrieval skills and evidence-based practice into the curriculum. Develops curriculum integrated instruction, assignments, and course materials.
• Tracks required and recommended textbooks and educational resources used in the undergraduate medical education curriculum; makes educational resource recommendations to faculty; advises faculty on how to best integrate library resources into the curriculum.
• Develops educational materials, including web-based library guides, online tutorials, and educational handouts.
• Develops and provides orientation sessions, seminars, consultations and library-sponsored workshops in various formats including in-person, web conferencing, online tutorials, and course management systems such as Blackboard.
• Provides service to library users by responding to directional, reference, informational and in-depth requests for information on specific topics. Helps library users formulate a search strategy and locate specific library materials. Formulates and performs mediated computer database searches on library databases.
• Participates in library outreach activities including health fairs, community education classes, and other special events related to the dissemination of quality health information.
• Participates in library collection development. Makes recommendations on books, electronic resources, journals, software tools, and emerging technologies to be added to the library collection to support education, research, outreach, and patient care.
• Manages the development and production of promotional and educational materials, including web-based resource pages, blogs, RSS feeds, tip-sheets and handouts. Reports on educational activities for library reports and publications.
• Assists with the development and implementation of strategic plans, shares information, participates in evaluation of library services and problem solving, and plans future activities.
• Maintains current knowledge of the technology trends and issues in medical education, scholarly communication, research practice, and health care.
• Performs a variety of technical and professional librarian duties of moderate to complex difficulty including providing information, instruction, and assistance to students, staff and faculty; providing information concerning location and content of collection; performing reference and research advisory services; performing collection management within assigned area.
• Attends faculty and student research seminars, department wide conferences, and university symposia to keep abreast of current research. Serves on university and library committees as appropriate.
• Maintains knowledge and skills necessary for the position through professional development and continuing education opportunities both locally and beyond. Participates in scholarly societies, attends academic conferences, and represents the library in relevant committees and academic activities.
• Develops methods for accomplishing major goals and reports results as appropriate.
• Defines and manages priorities, procedures and workflow of library section or team.
• Advises others on issues which affect the area of specialization or which may have a major impact on the work unit.
• Prepares detailed work plan and periodically prioritizes and prepares for daily activities.
• Responsible for planning, providing, coordinating, and/or controlling specialized services including long-term planning of an operation, project, or service.
• May plan, schedule and present generalized programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited library school.
Bachelor’s degree in a science or health sciences discipline.
Two (2) years of experience in an academic library environment with increasingly responsible work assignments.
Experience in an academic medical library or clinical environment; teaching experience; experience with health sciences database searching. Experience in an academic medical library or clinical environment.
Use of standard office equipment. Knowledge of library specific software.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Successful organization, communication and interpersonal skills; detail oriented; strong service orientation and commitment to profession. Ability to multitask and manage detail; strong oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking skills.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 01/18/2019
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/20227
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency