Limited Term Lecturer for Secondary Education
Limited Term Lecturer for Secondary Education (Faculty)
Primary Function of Organizational Unit Mission Statement: Graduates of the John H. Lounsbury College of Education, both graduate and undergraduate, take their places as Architects of Change in the public school systems of Georgia, working in the interest of all young people. While preserving the best of our liberal arts heritage, our graduates are equipped with the intellectual and social skills they need in order to serve as advocates for all PK-12 students.
Primary Purpose of Position This position will provide instruction in the areas of Secondary Education and other areas within teacher education, based on qualifications.
Faculty - Teaching/Instructing
-a. Teach undergraduate courses and graduate courses in Secondary Education pedagogy, assessment, curriculum, and support teacher candidates in their development into effective secondary educators; GC1Y (typically freshmen)/GC2Y (typically sophomore) core courses; and/or others in areas of expertise.
-b. Teach 5-course load each fall and spring semesters. 15 credit hours per semester
-c. All Georgia College faculty share the responsibility of teaching our core curriculum and providing foundation courses for majors and non-majors alike. To carry out our liberal arts mission, we seek faculty with the desire and ability to engage students as they launch their intellectual journey.
Georgia College seeks faculty and administrators who understand and embrace our public liberal arts mission and are dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through teaching, scholarship and service. All Georgia College faculty share the responsibility of teaching our core curriculum and providing foundation courses for majors and non‐majors alike. To carry out our public liberal arts mission, we seek faculty with the desire and ability to engage students as they launch their intellectual journey.
Faculty - Professional Development
All faculty are expected to develop in their profession. Some examples include:
- Attending conferences
- Participating in professional organizations
Although lecturers are not required to engage in disseminating scholarly activities or research, engaging in scholarly activity that informs classroom instruction is strongly encouraged. Scholarship of teaching and learning is especially valued.
Faculty - Service to Institution
All faculty are expected to engage in service. Some examples include:
- committee memberships,
- advisement of students,
- participation in special programs or projects,
- other service to the institution.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: Candidates must contribute to the John H. Lounsbury College of Education mission. The finalist is expected to maintain involvement in University, College and/or Departmental service and engagement in professional service at the national/international, regional, state, and/or community level. The candidate must remain current in research related to the field of teacher education and middle grades education to support instructional practices.
Minimum Experience/Education - Successful candidates are expected to have:
- Ph.D. or Ed.D in Secondary Education or Ed.D or Ph.D. in secondary content field such as Mathematics Education, English Education, Social Studies Education or Science Education or Ed.D/Ph.D in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Secondary Education or one of the fields.
- Evidence of successful teaching (higher education and/or a minimum of 3 years teaching experience with secondary education learners)
- Must meet SACSCOC accreditation requirements stated in C.S. 3.7.1 (www.sacscoc.org [faculty credentials])
Priority consideration given to application received by January 25, 2019.
Department Required Skills
- Collaboration and collegiality with department, college, and university faculty
- Demonstrate an ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong communication skills
- Evidence of engaging teaching practices and mentoring
- In keeping with the University’s mission employees are expected to contribute to our goal of cultural, ethnic, and racial diversity.