Irvine Valley College
Full Time, Tenure Track
Job Close Date: 02/04/2019
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instruct lecture and laboratory courses in General Chemistry. Instruct lecture and laboratory courses in Organic Chemistry. Additional assignment may include teaching other chemistry courses such as preparatory chemistry, chemistry courses designed for allied health science and non-science major students. Promote appropriate safety practices in the laboratory. Provide leadership in the development of a comprehensive chemistry curriculum. Participate in program review process and student learning outcome process. Assist with the development and operation of appropriate instructional facilities and related interdisciplinary programs. Comply with all SOCCCD, IVC, and Chemistry Department policies with regard to participation in general faculty functions related to the educational program, staff development/flex-calendar activities, committee work, and departmental and school meetings. Maintain formal office hours. Perform necessary clerical and administrative tasks in a timely manner. Assume a leadership role in the intellectual growth and academic success of a diverse student population through the careful preparation of course materials and the employment of effective teaching methodologies. Assignment may include day, evening, or weekend hours.
For this position, employees must have at least one of the following:
1. Master’s degree or higher in chemistry from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or biochemistry AND a Master’s degree or higher in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above.
• Minimum of three semesters of recent experience teaching Organic Chemistry, to include lecture and laboratory at the college level, and/or minimum of four semesters of recent experience teaching General Chemistry, to include lecture and laboratory at the college level.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Minimum of one year of work experience in chemical related industry.
• Evidence of strong commitment to remain current in chemistry and its instructional programs, which may include recent research experience.
• Demonstrated skills in communicating effectively, both written and orally, with students and colleagues.
• Evidence of experience and proficiency in the use of laboratory equipment and instruction appropriate to high quality college chemistry curriculum, including computer technology in the classroom.
• Experience in designing laboratory experiments.
• Ph.D. in chemistry from a US accredited institution is highly desirable.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER