DIR., FINANCIAL & PAYROLL SERVICES-STUDENT AFFAIRS
DIR., FINANCIAL & PAYROLL SERVICES-STUDENT AFFAIRS
Resource Admin - Administration
NATURE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Financial and Payroll Services provides vision, creative leadership and oversight of processes, policies, systems, and reporting relevant to budgeting, accounting, procurement, compliance, and payroll for the Division of Student Affairs; monitors and provides expertise and guidance for process improvements related to accuracy, efficiency, fiscal controls, and quality of service.; produces regular financial reports and analyzes trends; supervises central financial and payroll staff and provides guidance and support to Division financial officers and business managers.
1. Oversee and monitor standardized payroll and financial management processes, policies and procedures across all operating units within the Division of Student Affairs. Monitor fiscal controls. Manage processes related to user security and training for institutional financial and payroll systems. Routinely analyze processes and procedures for quality control and improvement. Ensure compliance with Division and University policies and practices. Develop and execute standard financial reports. 35%
2. Lead and coordinate processes related to annual budget preparation, variance reporting, and fiscal year-end closeout for the Division. Identify possible budget problems and develop solutions. Analyze trends and provide financial analysis to senior management for decision support and planning purposes. 20%
3. Oversee all payroll processes for the Division. Insure accuracy and timeliness. Handle complex and unusual cases. Monitor requisition and hiring processes with the HR Manager and AVP providing adviceand counsel to departments as needed. 25%
4. Contribute to a climate of collaboration through strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Provide advice, counsel, and training as needed. Convene business managers and other internal groups. Serve as the primary Division liaison to Financial Services, Corporate Payroll, ECRT, Parking & Transportation, and Visa Services. Serve as Division representative to PAMC Academic Business Managers and other groups as requested. 5%
5. Hire, supervise, and manage performance of FPS staff. Advise, mentor, and support financial officers and departmental business managers. Participate in recruiting, onboarding, and training efforts for these positions. 10%
6. Establish operational goals in line with the Division's strategic plan and monitorprogress and achievement. Prepare annual report and activities reports as requested. 5%
7. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
QUALIFICATIONS Minimum Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and six years relevant work experience financial management in a related setting. MBA or Master's in a relevant field preferred. Familiarity with Duke systems and policies as well as work experience in a student services setting are strongly preferred. Demonstrated success in staff supervision and performance management. Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues. Effective verbal and written communications skills.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
High level of experience and expertise in the following areas:
• Cultural competency demonstrated via success in working as part of a team as well as with individuals of diverse backgrounds and skills
• Demonstrated success in collaborating across units and fields of expertise
• Principles and practices relevant to fund accounting
• Electronic financial and payroll systems similar to those used at Duke, e.g., SAP, SPB, Online Travel, API, ETR, I- 9/E-verify, etc.
• Procurement practices relevant to a university setting
• Trends analysis, financial modeling and routine financial reporting
• Payroll policies and processes and relevant HR policies
• Organizational skills including managing multiple, concurrent projects and deadlines
• Ability to work independently and as a team member or leader
• Work process improvement and redesign and/or continuous quality improvement
1796 FINANCIAL MGMT ANALYST III
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics,Business Administration or a related field. CPA is desirable.
Work requires a minimum of six years experience in financialmanagement, cost accounting or a field directly related to specializedarea of assignment.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.