Assistant Professor (Simulation, Animation & Gaming)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
The School of Visual and Built Environments (SVBE) in the College of Technology at Eastern Michigan University invites applications for a tenure-track position in the Simulation, Animation, and Gaming Program beginning fall 2019. SAG is the largest program in SVBE with more than 200 students. In addition, SAG is an accredited program by the National Association of Schools of Arts and Design (NASAD).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Teach contractual load of Simulation, Animation, and Gaming courses that fulfill the SAG curriculum goals and objectives.
Assign and submit grades in accordance with established University schedules.
Keep posted office hours during the week which are scheduled at times most beneficial to students.
Provide academic advising to students, if applicable.
Serve on search committees for hiring of new faculty members, departmental committees and other service committees across the university.
Participate in activities such as student registration, orientation, convocations and commencements.
Attend and participate in scheduled departmental meetings and functions.
Provide other support service to the department, college and/or university, if applicable.
The candidate is expected to remain active in research and scholarly activities including developing externally funded research programs.
Engage in pursuits that help to further organize and contribute to growth of the body of knowledge in their respective disciplines, and/or to explore interdisciplinary implications.
Perform related Departmental duties as required.
- An earned Ph.D. in simulation, animation, gaming, or a closely-related field, or an MFA in a closely-related field.
Consideration will be given to candidates with experience in the following areas:
- A record of successful professional and/or teaching experience.
- High level of proficiency with Maya, 3dsMax, Photoshop, After Effects, and/or Unity.
- Teaching VR/AR courses for animation using PCs, mobile devices, and/or labs.
- Proven skills in directing student and/or team projects.
- Capable of designing and redesigning course content for Simulation Animation and/or Gaming courses, including tests, quizzes, weekly assignments, projects and portfolios.
- Ability to assist in keeping the program current and aligned with the accreditation standards.
- Ability or has a potential of dissemination/exhibition of games or similar works in venues such as SIGGRAPH, Indiecade, etc.
- Capable of working well in collaborative work environments.
This is an eight-month appointment position. EMU offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Application materials should include 1) letter of application, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) statement of teaching interest, 4) statement of research interest, 5) a digital portfolio, 6) copy of graduate transcripts, and 7) names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of the applications will begin on February 15, 2019, and will continue until position is filled.
EMU enrolls approximately 20,000 students and offers an outstanding benefits package and a collegial work environment. EMU's distinct mix of comprehensive academic resources, strong community initiatives, focus on Education First, and nationally-recognized undergraduate and graduate student research achievements set it apart. The EMU campus is located in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor community, five miles from downtown Ann Arbor and 35 miles west of Detroit, MI and Windsor, Ontario.
Eastern Michigan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator that is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.