Sr. Machinist - Supervisor
Requisition # 2018-9607
Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Category Building Trades and Technicians
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Senior Machinist-Supervisor runs various CNC and conventional mills and lathe machines for production of high precision machined parts for use in the experiments at the laboratory, assigns jobs and provides feedback for designs, concept development, peer reviews, and machining procedures.
As a competent machinist, he/she will also process work orders, performs periodic and emergency maintenance on the equipment per machine manufacturer's requirement, and ensures a safe work practice and safe environment.
- Design and manufacture custom jigs, tooling and fixtures as required.
- Perform measurements and inspection of machined parts.
- Consider safety as a priority for yourself and others in active promotion of a safe work environment. Ensure safety by performing routine maintenance of equipment in the shop, and assisting in supply of needed tools and specialty consumables.
- Adopt and enforces the shop and Engineering Department's procedures, to ensure full compliance during execution of duties.
- Interface with the stakeholders to process authorized work orders in a timely manner, and provide status reports during regular meetings.
- Provide feedback for process improvement, designs of own workstations and shop area, equipment designs, concept development, peer reviews, and propose viable options.
- Assign jobs and assist others with questions and offers guidance on machining and leveling resources; ensuring timely completion of work.
- Assign work based on expertise and workload of the shop.
- High school Diploma or GED required; vocational technology trade schools or associates degree and CNC Certificate are a plus
- 5+ years of experience operating CNC machines; 3, 4 and 5 axis programming and machining; prior HAAS VM's experience
- At least 5 years of shop supervision including estimating using software
- Must be expert Mastercam user; experience with ProtoTRAK ; CAD CAM concept a plus
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.