Residential Food Service Worker - Butler Wilson
Requisition # 2018-9601
Department Campus Dining
Category Food Services and Dining
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach are a student at heartm and believe that community engagement happens around food, we'd love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion fo serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, welllness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop inovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award winning food program is based on scienific and evidence - based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are preparecd by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients.
We invite you to be a part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything.
The Residential Food Service Worker provides customer service within the parameters of departmental standards with regard for speed of service and customer satisfaction. S/he will be responsible for all levels of customer service, prepare the food requirements of an established menu with the concern for quality, appeal, presentation, sanitation, safety and cost. S/he will also be responsible for maintaining the kitchen and stations in a clean, safe and orderly fashion.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares food items for the menu in accordance with the established portion sizes, quality, and taste as designed.
- Prepares items as requested by customers.
- Participates in taking, observing and recording food temperatures and equipment temperatures in accordance with HACCP policies and principles.
- Maintains the kitchen, kitchen equipment, food stations and related areas in a safe and sanitary condition at all times. Corrects or reports any sanitation hazards.
- Operates card reader accurately according to departmental procedures.
- Adheres to the policy of “clean as you go.” Assists in the daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Maintains the storage areas, utilizing proper storage techniques, including enforcing a FIFO (first in/first out) policy for all food products.
- Is familiar with all food preparation procedures as assigned.
- Maintains and enforces the established energy conservation techniques and guidelines.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Department of Campus Dining and Princeton University
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- A High School Diploma, GED, or completion of the Excelling at Princeton Program and one year relevant experience: OR five years relevant experience preferably in a collegiate dining environment.
- Flexibility with scheduling. Weekend work and work outside the unit required.
- Prior dependable work record.
- One year's experience as a food Service Worker or equivalent in culinary training.
- Knowledge of New Jersey State Health Department rules and regulations.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to coordinate tasks to meet production deadlines. Must be flexible in handling multiple assignments and ability to work in multiple venues.
- Must have the ability to coordinate tasks to meet production deadlines. Must be Flexivle in handling multiple assignments and ability to work in multile venues.
- Must be able to work rapidly and efficiently during rush periods.
- Must be able work with a variety of kitchen and service equipment including char broilers, steam jacket kettles, pressure streamersm ovens, broilers, woks, induction ranges,m grills, Pannini grills, slicers, choppersm mixers, blenderm froxen dessert machinesm various hot and cold beverage dispensers, coffee brewers, espresso/cappuccino machinesm steamer/oven, card reader, and various hand tools.
- Must have knowledge of food preparation for a full range of cold foods including salads, fruits and veretables, deli meats, desserts and accompaniments, and hot food production including steaming, grilling, frying, baking, pizza makingm aand dough mixing.
- Must have Knowledge of customer Service Standards.
- Skills in presenting and garnishing food.
Work Schedule Requirements/Information:
- This is an Academic Year position (19 pays), 100% duty time (40 hrs.).
- Flexibility, late nights early norningsm weekends, holidays and work outside the unit is required.
- The schedule may change due to business needs.
Essential job functions:
- Sand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day.
- Sit for no more thatn 2 hours during an 8 hour day, except for cashiers and card checkers who may sit for 2-4 hour at one time for a total of 4-6 hours per day
- Drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time.
- Lift or carry up to 30 lbs. in a range of motion from floor to overhead reequently (34-66% of the workday).
- Lift or carry up to 50 lbs. in a range of motion from floor to chest height occasionally (less that 33% of the workday).
- Push or pull using forces up to 50 lbs. occasionally (less than 33% of the workday).
- Use arms and hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pullng with forces up to 5 lbs continuously (67-100% fo the workday) and up to 30 lbs reequently (34-66% of the workday).
- Bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day).
- Work under a range of temperature conditions(e,.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc).
- Possess physical agility, fiull range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.