Program Director, Dental Auxiliary Programs and Assistant Professor School of Workforce Development
Date: January 9, 2019
Title: Program Director, Dental Auxiliary Programs and Assistant Professor School of Workforce Development
Position Number: 949
Academic Calendar Year: 42 weeks
Date Available: Fall 2019
Annual Salary Range: $64,445 (Master’s Degree)
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Workforce Development
Close Date: February 20, 2019
Summary GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development; and provide service to our students, the college and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as work associated with the School of Workforce Development and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles, and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
- Provide leadership for the day-to-day operation of the dental auxiliary Programs as well as the Grand Rapids Community College Dental Clinic.
- Assist the Dean/Assistant Dean in the hiring of faculty to teach dental hygiene, dental assisting and dental auxiliary courses.
- Contribute to the growth and development of the Program and the College by representing the department as a liaison and facilitator in college wide committee work, program planning, and other discipline and college-related activities as well as between students, the administration, faculty, other staff and the general public.
- Lead activities in maintaining appropriate program accreditations.
- Oversee curriculum development activities within department to ensure compatibility with College curriculum goals and issues and with College mission.
- Plan and prepare master schedule of dental program classes, registration of students and maintenance of all classes in the dental auxiliary programs.
- Work with the Dean of the School of Workforce Development in creating annual proposals for Perkins and other special funding opportunities.
- Develop and manage the annual budgets and expenditures for the department and the dental clinic including Perkins funding.
- Prepare reports, certify graduates, seek approvals and otherwise maintain appropriate relationships and memberships with the local and national allied/dental societies including the Michigan Dental Association, the American Dental Association, the Commission of Dental Accreditation and related allied dental organizations.
- Serve as the liaison between the dental auxiliary programs and clinical agencies.
- Work with the program academic secretary and health programs admissions coordinator to fill and orient each year’s cohort.
- Work with dental clinic secretary in maintaining supply inventory for all laboratory and clinical courses, managing the student locker room, student and faculty needs.
- Oversee the Dental Auxiliary Programs Advisory Committee and recommend new members to the Dean of the School of Workforce Development.
- Work with Training Solutions to develop continuing education and professional development courses.
- Other duties as normally required of GRCC faculty members.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean or the Dean of Workforce Development.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in related field preferred or DDS/DMD.
- Required Michigan licensure as CDA and RDH or DDS on date of hire.
- Experience with ADA CODA accreditation preferred.
- Clear evidence as advocate for both dental assisting and dental hygiene and the importance of the dental healthcare team.
- Minimum of two full-time years/4000 hours of combined experience in dental hygiene practice, dental assisting practice or dentistry.
- Minimum of three years of full-time experience as an instructor teaching lecture, lab and clinic in an ADA-CODA accredited dental assisting or dental hygiene program. Community College teaching experience is preferred.
- Clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of students from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of abilities.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- Demonstrated initiative, and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a professional manner.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Travel to offsite locations will be required.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs. Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. For full consideration, please submit a CV/resume, a cover letter specifically addressing the job description, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters. You may upload the letters yourself or your supporters may attach to an email to [email protected] The opportunity to apply for this position will close on February 20, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.