Physics - 122300
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The Physics Department offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate degrees in Physics giving students the opportunity to participate in world class research and training opportunities. This Department's goal is to serve our region and nation through formal and informal education, while excelling as a center of technological excellence.
The Physics Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Mechanical Technician to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide maintenance, repair and fabrication services to the Physics department, university and community as appropriate.
* Prioritize work orders using the Physics Machine Shop business model.
* Work effectively with faculty, students and other clients to interpret research/project goals into design specifications and then produce products that meet the clients needs.
* Operate equipment accurately and safely; repair and maintain all equipment.
* Maintain accurate records of drawings, work orders, and invoices.
* Have own measuring tools.
* Even tempered and able to handle stressful situations.
* Able to work in a diverse environment with a variety of clients.
Experienced in fabrication with minimal guidance.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess an Associate's Degree in related field and five years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Thorough knowledge of machine tools, calipers, micrometer, gauges, and other measuring devices. Working knowledge of the operation of electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and optical systems and devices.
* Ability to read and interpret complex drawings, charts, and designs.
* Ability to work from ideas and to draw own sketches and designs.
* Ability to make varied mathematical computations involved in designing and constructing apparatus and equipment.
* Skill in the care and use of tools and equipment of the machinist trade.
* Thorough knowledge of the hazards, dangers, and safety precautions applicable to the welding and machine shop work.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* 5 years experience as a machinist.
* Experience with the following: Manual mills, laths, and some CNC mill work, shears, benders, and various hand tools.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting