Research Software & Computing Training Specialist
Requisition # 2019-9787
Department Computational Science and Eng
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Do you want to be part of a growing team involved in groundbreaking discoveries? Do you want to lead the training and outreach program to enable computational and data science driven research? Do you have a strong background in training and curriculum development? If so, Princeton University's Institute for Computational Science & Engineering (PICSciE) is recruiting a full time Research Software and Computing Training Specialist to join its team.
In this position, you will be responsible in collaborating with faculty, staff, and students in identifying, designing, evaluating, teaching and delivering a comprehensive range of practical training programs for the research computing community. The person will be an integral member of Princeton's research computing team focused on enabling cutting-edge research focused in advanced computing and software development tools across all disciplines as well as orchestrate and develop a more cohesive training curriculum with both internal and external campus partners. The person in this position may be asked to occasionally co-teach parts of graduate level courses in computational and data science. This is not a term position.
- Identify training needs for the Princeton research computing community
- Develop training curricula and recommend or utilize computing industry or vendor programs meeting instructional goals and objectives
- Formulate training outlines and determine instructional methods utilizing knowledge of specified training needs and effectiveness of such methods such as individual training, group instruction, lectures, demonstrations, conferences, meetings, and workshops
- Analyze and assess training and development needs for individuals, departments, and research groups
- Recruit, select, and train instructors including volunteers or teaching assistants as appropriate
- Select or develop training aids including video tutorials and setting up a web-based training portal
- Deliver group instruction and training covering a range of technical and operational topics in particular software development tools (e.g., Python, Git, Jenkins, Travis, Buildbot, CUDA, C, Jupyter, CodeOcean, MATLAB, etc.)
- Coordinate with PICSciE institute manager on administrative and operational functions necessary to deliver and document training programs
- Evaluate effectiveness of training and development programs and utilize relevant evaluation data to revise or recommend changes in instructional objectives and methods
- Potentially lead and train staff performing related work
- Potentially be asked to engage with faculty, students and staff on graduate level courses in computational and data science
- Potentially be asked to be part of training grants
- M.S. degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Computational Science or Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified including software engineering for scientific computing
- Comprehensive knowledge of training plan, curriculum, and aid design and development
- Knowledge of implementation and facilitation of technical, operational, and/or specialty training events and program
- Teaching and facilitation skills
- Experience as PI or key personnel in grants or proposals
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Expertise in programming and software development tools (e.g., Python, Git, Jenkins, Travis, Buildbot, CUDA, C, Jupyter, CodeOcean, MATLAB, etc.)
- Experience in scientific applications development and optimization including applications on large scale computers
- Ability to design, develop, implement, and evaluate responsive programs and initiatives including training plans, curricula, and methodology
- Good understanding of high performance computing architectures
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.