WEB & GRAPHIC DESIGNER, School of Dental Medicine, Office of the Dean
WEB & GRAPHIC DESIGNER, School of Dental Medicine, Office of the DeanTracking Code6950 Job Description
The Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine is looking for someone who is excited about the opportunity to design compelling print, digital, and web materials that raise the visibility of the dental school with key audiences and help create and maintain a consistent brand identity for the school. The right person for this role is someone who believes the best design – whether for print or for web – combines form and function in ways that create a visually compelling user experience and convey information accurately and easily. You are excited to be part of a new and growing team that’s dedicated to doing exciting, innovative work and views obstacles as an opportunity to get creative.
Applicants are asked to submit a portfolio that includes 3-5 work samples that highlight their graphic and/or web design capabilities.
The Web & Graphic Designer is responsible for creating visually compelling print and digital communications collateral, including event announcements, program brochures, alumni publications, etc. This will require working directly with key stakeholders to understand the purpose of the project and then proposing design solutions that will help achieve that objective. The Web & Graphic Designer is expected to develop a nuanced understanding of Boston University brand standards and how to apply these standards to print and digital collateral.
The Web & Graphic Designer is responsible for overseeing day-to-day website updates and maintenance to ensure GSDM website is updated and accurate at all times. This includes proactively identifying and engaging with key stakeholders to get updated content as necessary, and prioritizing and tracking inbound requests appropriately. The Web & Graphic Designer is also expected to work closely with the director of communications to support ongoing efforts to improve the design and content of GSDM websites, which could include reviewing existing pages, identifying solutions to improve user experience, redesigning pages based on those solutions, editing or rewriting content, and reorganizing the site flow and architecture.
The Web & Graphic Designer is responsible for designing email newsletters using Constant Contact (or other platforms as necessary) that are visually compelling, and convey accurate information in a concise and pithy manner. This includes working with key stakeholders to edit and refine content. The Web & Graphic Designer will also be expected to identify and track metrics that measure the success of newsletters, and use these data to propose ways to improve future newsletters.
The Web & Graphic Designer is responsible for supporting GSDM’s social media strategy by designing and creating images and graphics for the school’s social media channels on an as-needed basis. This includes working closely with other members of the communications team to identify the graphic/image requirements of social media campaigns, and then executing design options that meet those requirements.
The Web & Graphic Designer serves as primary reviewer of student- and faculty-created content to ensure compliance with Boston University brand guidelines. This includes identifying solutions and providing support for those materials that are not in compliance.
The Web & Graphic Designer is responsible for other duties and responsibilities as needed to support the Office of Communications and External Relations in achieving its goals and strategic priorities.
Occasional evening and weekend hours may be necessary.Required Skills
Degree in graphic arts, graphic design, or web design is preferred.
Other Skill Requirements:
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Experience managing websites through a content management system, with Wordpress experience preferred
- Experience with email newsletter platforms such as Constant Contact or MailChimp
- Excellent written and oral skills
- High attention to detail
- Basic familiarity with Google Analytics and newsletter analytics (e.g., open rate, click rate), and willingness to improve skills and knowlege on the job
- Proficient at multi-tasking with excellent time management skills and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong applicants must be comfortable working in ambiguous situations with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Strong applicants must be proactive and flexible and willing to adapt to changing requirements or circumstances. Strong applicants will have a strong bent toward continuous improvement and be excited about the opportunity to learn and grow within the role. Strong applicants must be comfortable working in ambiguous situations with shifting priorities and deadlines. Strong applicants must be proactive and flexible and willing to adapt to changing requirements or circumstances. Applicants are asked to submit a portfolio that includes 3-5 work samples that highlight their graphic and/or web design capabilities.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular