MARKETING ASSOCIATE OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND WEB, Development & Alumni Relations Tracking Code7689Job Description
We in Boston University Development & Alumni Relations (DAR) harness the power of philanthropy to make an excellent education accessible and welcoming to all, and to advance BU’s global leadership in research, scholarship, artistic creation, and professional practice. To support our work, we have built—and are continuing to build—an outstanding team of dynamic, mission-driven advancement professionals who constantly strive to create an environment where everyone belongs. Where it’s not just a job, but a career and a community.
Now, our Alumni Engagement team is looking for a Marketing Associate of Social Media & Web, who will implement an online engagement strategy for DAR with a strong focus on social media engagement.
Alumni Engagement at Boston University
The Alumni Engagement team is dedicated to understanding alumni, strengthening pride and awareness, and facilitating ways to grow and sustain the base of alumni engaging with and supporting Boston University. The team has oversight of alumni digital strategy, alumni experience operations, and measuring engagement—through both attitudinal and behavioral dimensions—of more than 350,000 alumni across the globe. This team works in close collaboration with colleagues in the Office of Development & Alumni Relations, and across departments and schools at Boston University.
Marketing Associate of Social Media & Web
The Development & Alumni Relations Marketing Associate is responsible for designing dynamic content for the BU Alumni Association’s social media channels, being at the forefront of new trends and technology, and providing best practices through engagement analytics. The Marketing Associate is also responsible for partnering with integrated media projects managed by Alumni Relations and other Development colleagues through collaboration, education, experimentation, and troubleshooting. Working with the Director of Strategic Alumni Engagement, the Associate Director of Online Engagement, and other Development and Alumni Relations colleagues as well as campus partners, the Marketing Associate will ensure optimal engagement through our social channels and online initiatives.
- Strategic development of diverse content, lead generation, and interaction across all BU Alumni Association branded social media channels: This includes collaborating with other DAR and university-wide partners to define goals and develop robust content; maintaining brand equity through the implementation of digital content; identifying new opportunities for promoting alumni engagement; and reporting comprehensive results including engagement, growth, conversions, ROI, and other trends.
- Technical leadership of emerging technologies and monitoring trends and the corresponding management tools: Must analyze results of efforts, redefine strategies accordingly and stay abreast of cutting-edge practices on the use of social media, mobile and online. Develop strategic projects to take advantage of opportunities presented by emerging technologies and social media in partnership with the Marketing Associate and Communication Coordinator. Train and support colleagues with new trends and tools, as necessary.
- Planning and strategy: Work directly with the Director and Associate Director to plan and carry out collaborative marketing campaigns to support Development & Alumni Relations; Support the maintenance and evolution of the BU Alumni Association website and web traffic; Collaborate with Alumni Relations and University Marketing & Communications colleagues to develop cross-marketing opportunities and email content as needed; Support mobile app adoption and retention; and recommend new initiatives/ideas from actively listening to alumni on online platforms.
- Create and implement social media strategy for targeted events, programs, and volunteer initiatives: Developing cohesive social media engagement strategies for all Alumni Relations events, including marquee programs and hundreds of yearly events across the world. This includes responsibility for creating and managing Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram ads, recommending ad investment, and analyzing conversions to educate and improve the ROI.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of related experience
- Experience creating innovative engagement strategies across multiple social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Demonstrated history of utilizing analytics to create and adjust engagement strategies
- Ability to collaboratively engage with colleagues across the University
- An awareness of emerging technologies in the digital space
- Advanced copywriting
- Designs skills is a plus
But that’s not all we’re looking for; we want someone who embodies our values:
- Teamwork, transparency, and mutual respect, because we value every member’s contributions and know that leadership can come from anywhere.
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and a commitment to ensuring that each of us knows we belong here.
- Integrity in how we work and how we treat one another.
- Strategic thinking and curiosity in the relentless pursuit of fresh approaches and measurable results.
- Continuous growth and improvement, both as individuals and as a team.
- Joy and shared appreciation for working hard toward goals that matter.
If this resonates with you and you want to help us in our ambitious next campaign—and maybe do some of your best work as an advancement professional— we encourage you to apply. If you are hesitant to apply because you have not previously performed every responsibility listed in the description, but you do possess transferable skills, our values, and the defined qualifications, we still want to hear from you and welcome your application.
To learn more about Development & Alumni Relations at Boston University, and other job opportunities, please stop by the DAR Talent website: https://www.bu.edu/dar-talent/.
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to complete the employment application process, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at 617-353-6474
Job LocationBOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular