SR. DIRECTOR, PROSPECT INFORMATION STRATEGIES, Development & Alumni Relations Tracking Code7066 Job Description
We in Boston University Development & Alumni Relations (DAR) harness the power of philanthropy to make an excellent education accessible and welcoming to all, and to advance BU’s global leadership in research, scholarship, artistic creation, and professional practice. To support our work, we have built—and are continuing to build—an outstanding team of dynamic, mission-driven advancement professionals who constantly strive to create an environment where everyone belongs. Where it’s not just a job, but a career and a community.
Now, our Prospect Information Strategies team is looking for a Senior Director who will developing a comprehensive strategy that will identify, prioritize, and provide insights on those individuals whose philanthropy can have an outsized impact on BU’s educational and research mission.
Prospect Information Strategies at Boston University
Prospect Information Strategies is comprised of two sub-departments, Prospect Analytics and Pipeline Management & Development. The department’s goal is to provide to each fundraiser a list of those prospects most likely to make a major gift in support of university projects with a major gift being defined as $100,000 paid over a minimum of five years.
Senior Director, Prospect Information Strategies
Using data that is proprietary to BU as well as that available in the public domain, the Senior Director will be responsible for building, implementing, assessing, and iterating end-to-end solutions that provide business insights and empirical assessments of constituent engagement and philanthropy. This position manages and coordinates teams with discrete responsibilities for Pipeline Management and Development, and Data Analytics.
As BU seeks to significantly grow philanthropy from individual constituents, including alumni, parents, and non-affiliates whose interests align with the University’s leading research initiatives, Prospect Information Strategies is key to the University’s fundraising success. As such, the incumbent is a key partner to fundraising leaders within the division of Development & Alumni Relations.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and transformational leader with a demonstrated capacity for navigating change, including the building of consensus among key stakeholders. Must have the ability to coordinate the efforts of a department split into two distinct but interrelated functions. Additionally, the Senior Director will have led or participated significantly in the transformation of an organization where the implementation of a comprehensive analytics program led to meaningful increases across multiple KPI’s.
This position will require someone with a demonstrated understanding of databases, spreadsheets, queries, statistical data management, and visualization and survey tools. Ability to gather, interpret, and use complex data to develop actionable steps that will improve processes and optimize results. Additionally, the ability to communicate ideas clearly – in both verbal and written forms – to audiences with varying levels of familiarity and facility with data, is key.
- Achievement Planning – Work with the Vice President of Development and Sr. Associate Vice President of Development as well as across the entire division to develop short-, medium- and long-term major gift pipeline projections.
- Collaborate on the development and deployment of new business intelligence/analytics tools, including visualizations and predictive models, to validate relevant prospects and facilitate the movement of prospects through the pipelines.
- Build a prospect pool of principal gift and major gift and emerging wealth prospects. Validate relevant prospects and facilitate the movement of prospects through the pipeline
- Planning and Management – Provide professional leadership to the coordinated efforts of Principal Gift Research, Portfolio Management and Analytics.
- Resources and Operation – Manage budgets and personnel issues for the department.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- 5-8 years of related work experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in data science, statistics, information systems, business, or a related field
- Experience in higher education, academic healthcare or a research institute in a comprehensive, multi-year campaign is a plus.
But that’s not all we’re looking for; we want someone who embodies our values:
- Teamwork, transparency, and mutual respect, because we value every member’s contributions and know that leadership can come from anywhere.
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and a commitment to ensuring that each of us knows we belong here.
- Integrity in how we work and how we treat one another.
- Strategic thinking and curiosity in the relentless pursuit of fresh approaches and measurable results.
- Continuous growth and improvement, both as individuals and as a team.
- Joy and shared appreciation for working hard toward goals that matter.
If this resonates with you and you want to help us in our ambitious next campaign—and maybe do some of your best work as an advancement professional— we encourage you to apply. If you are hesitant to apply because you have not previously performed every responsibility listed in the description, but you do possess transferable skills, our values, and the defined qualifications, we still want to hear from you and welcome your application.
To learn more about Development & Alumni Relations at Boston University, and other job opportunities, please stop by the DAR Talent website: https://www.bu.edu/dar-talent/.
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to complete the employment application process, please contact the Equal Opportunity Office at 617-353-6474.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular