Director, Caruth Police Institute
Requisition Number STA - 201000000681
Job Title Director, Caruth Police Institute
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Executive Director Caruth Police Institute.
The University of North Texas at Dallas, an urban focused, rapidly growing metropolitan university, invites nominations and applications for the position of Executive Director and Professor of the Caruth Police Institute.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission and vision of the University to become a pathway for socioeconomic mobility for its students and its commitment to serving Dallas, the surrounding communities, and the State of Texas. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
The W.W. Caruth, Jr., Police Institute was created in 2008 and is sustained by a partnership among the Dallas Police Department (DPD) and the University of North Texas at Dallas. The Institute was funded with a grant of $9.5 million from Communities Foundation of Texas in order to fulfill the mission of conducting complex research and providing avenues for career advancement and leadership development for law enforcement officers. Primary roles for the Institute are to help identify and train a new generation of law enforcement leaders in best police practices and to act as a major research center in testing innovative solutions to complex urban policing and crime problems.
The Institute seeks a senior-level, full-time Executive Director to provide leadership, direction, and coordination for major executive training and research projects within the Dallas Police Department and other surrounding police departments in North Texas. This position reports to the President of the university
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
- A terminal degree or ABD in criminal justice, criminology, or a related field.
- Have a national reputation in policing with substantial experience in an academic, training, or research setting and at least five years of senior administrative and/or research experience.
- Experience in securing external grants/contracts/funds is highly desirable. To learn more about the Caruth Police Institute, please go to: http://cpidallas.org/.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- A Ph.D. in criminal justice, criminology, or related field.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building abilities, outstanding oral and written communication skills, and the ability to manage multiple complex projects.
- Experience in a position with significant managerial responsibility and demonstrated strong leadership skills.
- Experience leading a research facility to solve complex management problems through discussions between police and university scholars.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
As required to support the academic and administrative schedule of the Caruth Institute and the University of North Texas at Dallas.
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter, Curriculum Vita and a list of five professional references with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a terminal degree or ABD in criminal justice, criminology, or a related field?
- * do you have at least five years of senior administrative and/or research experience?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)