Executive Director of Communication & Marketing needed in Beautiful NW Montana!
Executive Director, Communications and Marketing
$70,000 - $90,000 depending on education and experience; full-time, benefit eligible
Monday, February 4, 2019, at 11:59 p.m.
The Executive Director of Communications and Marketing provides strategic vision and leadership for Flathead Valley Community College. Reporting to the President and serving on the senior leadership team, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of college goals and objectives through communications, community and media relations, public relations and marketing activities.
Flathead Valley Community College is an outstanding public community college located on a beautiful campus in Kalispell, Montana, with panoramic views of the northern Rocky Mountains and Glacier National Park. Our vision is to improve lives through learning, and the trustees, faculty and staff are dedicated to values that foster and preserve the spirit of our college and promote and support the well-being and economic development of the communities we serve.
- Directs, coordinates and integrates the strategic internal and external communications, marketing, and public relation functions of the College to develop consistent and cohesive messages in support of the college’s mission and strategic plan.
- Supervises and sets the priorities of a team to provide a wide range of services: web and digital media; internal and external communications; and marketing ensuring that the areas operate efficiently and effectively utilizing the latest delivery/presentation methods.
- Advises the President and senior leadership regarding internal and external communications and public relations; monitors issues, trends, and events in the community and advises the senior leadership team on planned programs of action.
- Collaborates with campus partners to develop strategic enrollment and recruitment management for advancement with prospective students and relevant constituents.
- Serves as an ambassador for the College, fosters cooperative relationships with media, schools, community groups, government officials, business and industry, and other external partners to enhance and promote the College. Delivers quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional helpful and courteous manner.
- Represents the College to the media, oversees media relations to ensure the accurate and timely coverage of campus news and events, utilizes all media platforms; develops and maintains solid working relations with members of the media to enhance and promote the College, and serves as the spokesperson as needed.
- Creates a multi-year plan for the College, shaping and managing activities that promote the College mission and enhancing the College’s visibility and brand reputation. Promotes, encourages, and executes programs of continuous assessment and benchmarking of goals, programs, and services and communicates the results.
- In partnership with College staff, plays key role in developing marketing strategies and public relations for the new College Center.
- Develops communications, presentations, and provides data and talking points for the President.
- Manages crisis communications and provides counsel to the President during crisis situations.
- Directs research efforts to collect, report, and utilize data to make data informed decisions; leads research and selection of marketing-related external services.
- Oversees the promotion, development and organization of campus events, and represents the College at various events. Manages photographic coverage of campus events and special functions; maintains college archives and maintains relevant resource files.
- Ensures the quality of the College’s varied and integrated marketing and communications products and services including: brand building; print publications; social media; mass media; web, e-news and other online communications; media and public relations.
- Develops comprehensive guidelines and manages internal and external communications and community outreach.
- Creates and maintains a collaborative and collegial environment with colleagues and maintains effective working relationships. Serves on internal and external boards and committees.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in applicable areas to help build strategic initiatives.
- Participates actively and with initiative in continuous improvement efforts to provide efficient and quality services.
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned.
- Reports to the President.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in public relations, business/marketing, communications, or closely related field; AND,
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible work experience in the areas of professional public relations, communications, business and/or marketing; AND,
- A minimum of five years of work experience with professional writing and public relations.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in in public relations, business/marketing, communications, or closely related field
- Work experience in communications, marketing and public relations in a higher education setting
- Work experience in various technology applications related to marketing and communications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skill in strategic planning for public relations, communications and integrated marketing
- Strong skills in internal and external public relations, reputation management, knowledge of current media practices and the social/business/economic climate of the local community
- Demonstrated skill in creating and managing a work climate of collaboration, collegiality and team work
- Strong skills in current paid and unpaid digital marketing practices including Google Ads, and social media marketing.
- Skill in full stack marketing including brand creation and management, print production and web integration
- Strong time management skills, with ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Ability to analyze and utilize market research and institutional data for the development of marketing and public relations plans, programs and objectives
- Ability to use current computer technology including web development and internet marketing programs
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the college;
- Ability and willingness to serve as a representative for the College by interacting appropriately with the community
- Ability to work within policies and procedures of FVCC
- Ability to intermittently work non-traditional schedules including evenings, weekends, etc.
- Ability to maintain effective and positive professional relationships
- Ability to follow and issue directions
- Demonstrated communication, presentation, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain regular and acceptable attendance levels
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Ability to respond in the event of an emergency
- This is a Medium Duty job, according to the Selected Characteristics of Occupations Defined in the Revised Dictionary of Occupational Titles, U.S. Department of Labor and Industry.
- Medium Duty involves exertion of 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must apply online at www.fvcc.edu/jobs; paper submission of applications or resume materials are not accepted. FVCC does not retain application materials for future consideration.
Additionally, applicants are required to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application:
- COVER LETTER: Submit a letter of application indicating how you meet the minimum qualifications and detail your work experience as it relates to the position; AND,
- RESUME: Submit a current, comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae; AND,
- UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: Submit unofficial transcripts must be uploaded for all degrees held - if more than one transcript, combine them as one document for upload to application. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will submit official transcripts for all degrees held to FVCC HR prior to hire. Only transcripts from accredited institutions will be accepted, AND
- WRITING SAMPLE: Submit a professional writing sample that has been published.
- OTHER: Submit a total of five (5) professional references (three (3) must be entered into the application form) with complete contact information. Professional references are individuals most familiar with applicant's work experience, skills and work behaviors.
NOTE: Finalists will be requested to do a presentation during the interviews.
EMPLOYMENT SPONSORSHIP: FVCC is not able to sponsor individuals seeking employment. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION'S, REFERENCE CHECKS AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: Prior to any offers of employment, FVCC conducts thorough employment verifications and reference checks and may contact organizations and individuals not listed on an applicant's application or resume. Additionally, FVCC conducts post-offer criminal background checks.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION: FVCC is an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action organization. It is FVCC's policy that all individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, creed, political ideas, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran’s status, service in the uniformed services as defined by state and federal law, physical or mental disability, national origin or ancestry except as authorized by law. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, and training and career development programs, as required by federal and state laws.
FVCC BOARD POLICY: The FVCC Board Policy Manual is available to review at: https://www.fvcc.edu/about-fvcc/board-of-trustees/fvcc-board-policy
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: FVCC provides reasonable accommodations upon request to qualified individuals with disabilities during all phases of employment including the application and selection process. No applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ACT: Preference applies in hiring and provides a uniform method by which special consideration is given to qualified Veterans. Veterans’ Preference laws do not, however, guarantee Veterans a job, nor do they give Veterans’ preference in internal actions such as promotion, transfer, reassignment, and reinstatement. I understand that applying for a preference is voluntary and that all information related to a preference is confidential and used only during the hiring process; the information will be maintained in a separate confidential file. To claim Veterans' Preference, you must complete the Veterans' Preference Form (form is available at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) and email it along with document(s) that verify your eligibility for employment preference to [email protected] Claims for Veterans' preference must be received by Human Resources prior to position closing date.
WINDFALL ELIMINATION PROVISION: Based on the Windfall Elimination Provision, I understand my employment may not be covered by Social Security. To learn more about the Windfall Elimination Provision click https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.