Executive Director for Online Educational Technology
Executive Director for Online Educational Technology
Job no: 496029
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Online Education
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Executive Director for Online Educational Technology reports directly to the Senior Vice Provost for Online Education and will serve as the primary staff member responsible for leading the development and execution of UMass Amherst Online educational experiences. Key responsibilities will include developing/maintaining a seamless and integrated student portal as well as oversight for online course development. The continuous improvement of experiences (portal and courses) will be a primary success measure associated with this role. The ideal candidate must be able to flourish in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. They must also show the ability to be nimble in working with partners and fellow team members, exercising strong conceptual, analytical, and critical thinking skills. Individuals will be successful in this position based on the ability to prioritize projects and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, with little day-to-day supervision. Must be committed to affecting systemic change and sustainable progress in the online undergraduate and graduate student experience, and maintaining the highest quality experience. This individual will work closely with the Assistant Provost for Academic Programs to assist in the coordination and implementation of all revenue-generating programs.
- Oversee all online course design operations for all UMass Amherst revenue-generating courses: on-campus, online, and hybrid.
- Work with the Center for Teaching Effectiveness to integrate best practices for online learning tools and technologies.
- Oversee the design and administration of the online student portal that will streamline and enhance the online student experience.
- Oversee the administration of content management operations that enhances both the prospective and matriculated student experience.
- Coordinate with Technology Engagement and Innovation group in Information Technology to evaluate emerging learning tools and technology that have the potential to be defined as a best practice.
- Coordinate with the Assistant Provost for Academic Programs to prioritize the design and delivery of online courses that are consistent with the university’s revenue generation goals.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- 10 years of related professional work experience.
- Master’s degree.
- Capacity for a high degree of independent decision making and initiative, including the ability to establish priorities and concurrently manage multiple complex tasks.
- Strong proficiency and technical knowledge of online Learning Management Systems (LMS) used in higher education (i.e. Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, Desire2Learn) or similar systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of instructional design theories and methodologies, and cross-platform networks.
- Diverse knowledge of current software applications for synchronous/asynchronous course content delivery.
- Ability to set work priorities, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Anticipates project issues and establishes plans to remedy in a timely and efficient fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, work independently and/or with multiple constituencies, speak or make presentations before groups, and conduct effective training.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience. Team builder committed to establishing and cultivating a positive and harmonious work environment/culture with a diverse population of stakeholders.
- Exercise discretion and confidentiality when interacting with stakeholders.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and consistently positive student experience.
- Sensitivity to diverse needs of faculty and students, and ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to work onsite in Amherst, Massachusetts.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Completed application should include: cover letter, resume, and contact information of three reference/recommendation sources.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Oct 12 2018 Eastern Daylight Time