Health Communications Specialist
Job Title: Health Communications Specialist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 24855
Job Code: 8147 Health Educator
Department: Student Health Center
CompensationClassification: Health Educator
Anticipated Salary Range: $5,400/month - $5,834/month
Salary Range: $4,060/month - $7,608/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the PositionThe Health Communications Specialist is responsible for providing strategic direction, planning, implementation, and evaluation of a culturally competent portfolio of communication strategies designed to improve health knowledge, promote healthy behaviors and decision-making, and support a healthy campus climate. The Specialist will administer theory-informed, evidence-based health focused marketing and social media campaigns based on relevant and measurable learning outcomes to improve individual and community health behaviors and status. The Specialist efforts will support individual, group, and population-based health promotion initiatives for SJSU students, grounded in social justice concepts and principles. Additionally, the Specialist will support the development of year end reports, brochures, websites, and other media to educate and to better tell the Student Health Center story. The Specialist will spearhead initiatives in support of Wellness and Health Promotion and Student Health Center's goals and objectives that align with established goals for the Division of Student Affairs and SJSU strategic plan.
Minimum Qualifications- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an approved program in health education or a related health field
- Equivalent to one to two years of progressively responsible health education experience or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Preferred Qualifications- Master's Degree in related field; or Bachelor's Degree in related field with specialized training, minor, or certification in Health Communications or Social Marketing
- One year of experience working in higher education setting
- Two or more years of health education experience
- At least one year of experience with social marketing in a professional context
- Experience creating graphic communication materials
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Knowledge of health education theories, research and program assessment, including planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of health programs.
- Ability to assess needs, develop learning outcomes, and strategize to develop effective educational campaigns.
- Knowledge of analytic tools and ability to report on traffic patterns and effectiveness of social marketing efforts.
- General knowledge of, or the ability to learn quickly, current and emerging college age health issues and best practices for intervention.
- Ability to learn campus Web platform and tools and manage web content updates.
- General graphic design skills and skill using relevant graphic communication software.
- Ability to create engaging flyers, reports, presentations, social media content, videos, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to learn and adhere to strict confidentiality laws such as HIPAA and FERPA and campus/Chancellor's Office policies.
Posting DateNovember 29, 2018
Application ScreeningApplication Screening Begins January 2, 2019
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application MaterialResume
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact InformationOne Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046