Job Title: Instructional Designer
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 24847
Job Code: 0420 Information Technology Consultant -12
CompensationClassification: Instructional Technology Consultant - Career
Salary Range: $4,372/month - $10,478/month
FLSA status: Exempt
About the PositionThe incumbent supports the University's mission to advance the effective use of current and emerging technologies to develop innovative and engaging e-learning environments. Ensures that the University's learning management system is properly maintained, works to enhance the faculty's pedagogical understanding of technology in e-learning environments, and serves as an advocate for institutionalizing e-learning within the culture and administration of the University.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Consult with faculty and staff to adapt existing courses and programs for online delivery and
other forms of e-learning
- Design and develop online instructional materials that support academic courses/programs
grounded in sound educational theory and best practices in instructional design
- Maintain the learning management system and/or other instructional technologies to serve the
educational and administrative community with resources in support of instruction
Minimum Qualifications- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology,
communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and technology
Preferred Qualifications- Master's Degree in a related field
- Experience in educational technology, instructional design, distributed learning, or an
- Experience using and managing Learning Management Systems
- Experience with technical information systems and application program packages
- Experience and a working knowledge of common software application packages used in
higher education teaching
- Experience in course development and design
- Experience in a team-based environment
- Experience in teaching workshops in higher education
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Proficiency and hands-on experience in web and mobile technologies with programming
knowledge of Application Programming Interface (API) and web development tools such as
Java, HTML, XML, and .NET.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrable skills in applying a variety of software applications and
web-based authoring and publishing systems: e.g., Camtasia, Photoshop, HTML editors,
WebEx, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Ability to design and develop user-friendly interfaces that comply with accessibility as defined
in Section 508.
- Working knowledge of managing vendor-supplied application maintenance and patch life
Posting DateNovember 26, 2018
Application ScreeningApplication Screening begins December 11, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application MaterialResume
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact InformationOne Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046