Financial Management & Planning Analyst
Job Title: Financial Management & Planning Analyst
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 24870
Job Code: 5287 Budget Analyst
Department: Budget & Financial Management
CompensationClassification: Budget Analyst
Anticipated Salary Range: $5,417/month - $5,834/month
Salary Range: $3,832/month - $7,179/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the PositionThe Financial Management & Planning Analyst performs technical budget analysis work required to administer SJSU's various budget programs and funds. The incumbent in this position is assigned duties as a combination of cabinet-level customer service points of contact, as well as financial management and oversight of university-wide programs. The Analyst provides consultative budget and financial management guidance to departmental and divisional contacts and develops recommendations on budgetary and related fiscal affairs of those assigned areas. The incumbent reviews and creates financial transactions (e.g., year-end closing entries, budget journals, actuals journals) in accordance with accounting, CSU, and campus-level guidelines, policies and practices. The Analyst analyzes and evaluates financial information and resources available, performs financial modeling, and conducts financial reconciliations, which may result in the preparation of financial reports, communications, or recommendations of the appropriate course of action. The incumbent documents and maintains business processes, standards and procedures and monitors compliance for assigned areas.
Minimum Qualifications- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Two years of progressively responsible professional experience in analyzing data including one year involving duties such as preparation, justification and analysis or the control and administration of a budget or budgetary process.
Preferred Qualifications- Bachelor's degree in business, education, public administration; economics; finance; mathematics; statistics, or related field.
- Three years of relevant work experience performing similar functions
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience working in a central finance/corporate office
- Experience working with business intelligence software, reporting, and query tools
- Experience working in the CSU system
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Broad knowledge of budgetary principles including position control, activity based costing, and budgetary alignment
- Knowledge of financial drivers of assigned divisional contact and financial program areas
- Knowledge of fund accounting, enterprise fund policy, and financial management practices
- Cultural competency skills to engage with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Advanced financial analysis skills sufficient to develop budget scenarios that include a variety of inputs
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and business intelligence software
- Ability to follow financial processes
- Ability to reconcile financial information
- Ability to work with provided direction on complex matters and independently on routine tasks
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects in a fast paced and politically sensitive work environment
- Ability to interpret, explain, and apply a variety of complex statutes, regulations, codes, collective bargaining provisions, policies and procedures
- Ability to take initiative, demonstrating resourcefulness and attention to detail
- Ability to work with diverse populations, including campus departments and committees
Posting DateDecember 20, 2018
Application ScreeningApplication Screening begins January 11, 2019
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application MaterialResume
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact InformationOne Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046