Health Information Management Laboratory Assistant / Instructor
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Health Information Management Laboratory Assistant / Instructor Department Health Sciences Division- Posting Number 03000P Location Springfield, VA: 22150 Full or Part Time Part-Time Position End Date (if temporary) Required Travel Relocation Covered Salary Range $18.00-$22.00/hr Position Summary Information Basic Function
Provide supervision and assistance for HIM students engaged in open lab practice and study, enforcing safety/lab policies, and communicating with faculty regarding students’ laboratory skills preparation.Duties and Responsibilities
•Assist students in HIM Lab including focus on HIM concepts and principles, individualized help with HIM coding and learning software
•Establish regular lab hours for walk in tutoring and advising
•Trouble-shoot HIM technical software problems, liaison with vendor for technical support
•Organize and lead lab sessions
•Assist in creating learning tools and documents to assist students in HIM courses lab assignments
Associate’s degree in Applied Science in Health Information Management or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training .Credentialed as a RHIT, CCS, RHIA or other equivalent certification. Some experience as a HIM technician in a healthcare facility.Preferred Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Applied Science in Health Information Management or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training. Previous healthcare and/or academic teaching experience.Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
•Working Knowledge as a Health Information Technician in a healthcare facility.
• Ability to work multiple tasks simultaneously while achieving desired output
• Ability to work in a diverse environment
• Ability to effectively convey HIM principles and concepts to assist in student learning
• Ability to utilize relevant HIM Software
• Ability to use multiple learning styles to assist students during lab sessions
• Ability to be use independent judgement and be a self-starter
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent tutoring skills
•Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, 3M, Educode, Neehr Perfect, AHIMA VLAB, and effective use of email and internet
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background
investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as
I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s
Statement of Economic Interest.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an Associate's degree in Applied Science in Health Information Management or related field?
- * Are you credentialed as a RHIT, CCS, RHIA or other equivalent certification?.
- * Do you have experience as a HIM technician in a healthcare facility, if so, please briefly describe your experience?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application