Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
The Events Manager is responsible for the planning and execution of all Zucker School of Medicine events, conferences, meetings, visitors, special sessions, and various projects from the Office of the Dean, as assigned. The Events Manager also supervises the events coordinator and provides strategic direction for special events. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Event Management, the Events Manager must demonstrate proficiency in schedule management and have an exceptional understanding of how best to allocate resources in addition to proactively addressing needs that may arise as events and visits are coordinated. The Events Manager is responsible for offering a high level of client service, exercising independent decision making to appropriately vet event and visit requests, coordinating with the Office of the Dean to properly approve or decline proposed events/visits, and effectively communicating across all Hofstra University, Northwell Health, School of Medicine departments, and individuals who may be involved.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing the planning and implementation of all events, external engagements, meetings, tours and visits for distinguished guests of the dean’s office.
• Ensuring communication of all events is seamless and that any event, external engagement, tour, etc. is properly reviewed and approved prior to utilizing or committing to the utilization of the School of Medicine building.
• Negotiating contracts, agreements, and billing in relation to events and meetings, including facility rentals and vendors.
• Providing site tours to coordinators of potential events.
• Supervising on-site management of all events and meetings to ensure quality of accommodations, catering, media, transportation, and related services, inclusive of staffing all events, including those that occur on weekends, early mornings, late evenings (requires flexible work hours).
• Originating policies and procedures regarding event operations.
• Creating, implementing, and evaluating marketing strategies for School of Medicine’s events, while ensuring collaboration with University Relations and the SOM communications team.
• Interacting extensively and forging productive working partnerships with the entire community to enhance the public presence of the School of Medicine and the University as an interactive conference hub.
• Selecting, training and supervising event staff.
• Establishing, creating, and maintaining the events website.
• Providing timely reports on all scheduled events to the senior administration and proposing new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process.
• A bachelor’s degree is required.
• The successful applicant must possess at least three years of experience in event management and audio/visual services in a corporate or education setting.
• Must demonstrate the ability to conceptualize, develop and execute both large and small scale events, meetings, and conferences.
• Working experience in the operation of industry standard analog and digital AV technology found in classroom and corporate event environments is required. Experience with classroom and event resources scheduling software is required; experience with Resource25 enterprise management system, facilities work order systems, and event management tools like Visio is a plus.
• The ability to plan, direct, and evaluate a complex operation, using custodial, public safety, time, funds, and other resources for the accomplishment of long-term and short-term goals of the institution.
• Must demonstrate the ability to professionally communicate and work cooperatively with a wide range of senior administration and technical, academic and planning/event departments across Hofstra University, Zucker School of Medicine, and Northwell Health.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter that describes the applicant’s interest in the position, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references to: [email protected]
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Apply for Events Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly