The University of Wisconsin Extended Campus (formerly UW-Extension, division of Continuing Education, Outreach and E-Learning) is seeking three Instructional Designers to join our team! Instructional Designers work in close collaboration with internal Instructional Design staff and faculty to design and develop high-quality online courses. Expectations are to work with faculty to obtain content, apply good design methodology and pedagogy, develop and communicate curriculum plans, and appropriately engaging internal and external resources. The instructional designer is responsible for creating courses in the learning management system and ensuring the content of those courses meets high quality standards. They may also be responsible for reviewing and incorporating media assets in a course, researching copyright and fair use issues, and copywriting. This is a professional role in instructional design for individuals who maintain a professional presence by actively participating in the field of instructional design both within and outside the organization.
**This role is not offered remotely and is located at 5602 Research Park Blvd. in Madison, WI. **
- Independently meet with faculty members and/or subject matter experts to create and manage a curriculum development plan for new online courses
- Build strong, collaborative relationships with constituents through face-to-face and remote interactions (e.g., emails, webinars, conference calls)
- Develop training materials and provide professional development to faculty regarding current research related to best practices for the development and teaching of online courses
- Lead the process for the selection, review, and integration of educational technologies to support pedagogical aims
- Provide training to faculty on the use of the learning management system and other associated educational technologies
- Coordinate with media staff on the creation of a media plan and associated content
- Identify and communicate opportunities to improve the learning experience for all students, especially those related to accessibility, and collaboratively work with faculty to carry out this work
- Aid faculty in locating and evaluating open educational resources, and provide guidance on issues related to copyright and fair use
- Assist with strategic initiatives, including the creation of new programmatic models and approaches
- Maintain a commitment to practitioner scholarship by keeping abreast of emerging theories and practices and actively sharing this knowledge both within and outside the organization
- Perform other duties as requested
- Bachelor's degree in instructional design, educational technology, education, or a related field with a minimum of two years’ experience of instructional design experience; or relevant terminal degree with one year of instructional design related instructional design experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Intermediate knowledge of learning theory and instructional design models
- Proficient user of learning management systems and related educational technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use office productivity tools (e.g., MS Word, Excel, email)
- Demonstrated skills and experience providing excellent customer service to internal and external clients/customers
- Demonstrated skills in project management
- Master's degree in instructional design, educational technology, curriculum, and instruction, or a related field
- Knowledge of current learning/instructional design theories pertaining to online education
- Proficiency in the Canvas learning management system
HOW TO APPLY
A complete application will include the following:
- A letter of interest addressing applicant qualifications and experience as they relate to the responsibilities of the position.
- A professional resume.
- References will be requested if selected as a finalist. References must include names, email, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references including at least one current or past supervisor.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
For assured consideration, complete applications must be submitted by January 31, 2019.