Dean of the Early College Program
Dean of the Early College Program
Nov 28, 2018
Bard College seeks a Dean of the Early College Program to lead a new academic program in Chengdu, China.
The Bard Early Colleges are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a tuition-free, credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences in place of the traditional last two years of high school. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; the Bard Early College academic program is defined by a unique commitment to both intellectual inspiration and attention to the developmental needs of adolescents.
Now in its second decade, the Bard Early College network serves over 2,850 students in campuses in Lower Manhattan, Queens, and Harlem, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; and Baltimore, Maryland. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.
Bard’s first early college in China was established in 2017 in Shenzhen. Bard invites applications for a dynamic individual who will develop and lead that school’s sister program, in Chengdu, as the Dean of Early College, Chengdu. The position will start in the Spring of 2019 (start date flexible) for a planning period prior to an anticipated Fall 2019 school opening.
Summary: The Dean of the Early College Program, Chengdu is the campus leader and head of school for Bard Early College Chengdu (BEC Chengdu) and reports directly to the Dean of the Early Colleges, Bard College. The Dean is responsible for developing and strengthening BEC Chengdu’s academic excellence, rates of student success, mission-aligned leadership, national standing and reputation, and operational effectiveness. The Dean must be a compelling and passionate voice for high quality college education for adolescents.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) activities associated with the administrative, academic, and organizational formation and successful launch of an early college partnership between Bard College and the partner entity in Chengdu. You will serve as the primary administrative liaison between BEC Chengdu and Bard College. This leadership role represents both academic responsibilities (including curriculum development, faculty recruitment, scheduling, and other aspects of the design and success of the academic program) and operational responsibilities (including registrar, finance, and other operational needs). As Dean, you will be responsible for oversight and facilitation of an admissions process and recruitment activities. Additionally, in all areas of the functioning of the school, the Dean acts as general liaison to the partner entity, in particular the local principal and high school board. You will work closely with the local principal and administrative team and assist them to organize and design the local curriculum in a way that facilitates Early College coursework. You will support the guidance staff in particular through outreach to and engagement of colleges and universities regarding credit transfer, as well as general advocacy to U.S.-based institutions on behalf of BEC Chengdu.
Key Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Dean of Early College, Chengdu span all aspects of BEC Chengdu’s organization. Central among these are:
- Recruit and hire an excellent faculty reflective of Bard’s high academic standards.
- Oversee and support the work of the BEC Chengdu staff and faculty, setting priorities and addressing challenges in academic standards, student services, partnerships, classroom issues, and more.
- Plan and execute training opportunities and evaluation tools that ensure the professional development and growth of all members of BEC Chengdu’s staff and faculty.
Academic and Program Leadership
- Lead BEC Chengdu’s academic programming and student supports to ensure that each student has access to an authentic and supportive undergraduate experience that prepares them for further college success.
- Collaborate with the Dean of the Early Colleges, Bard College, to design a curriculum that meets Bard College degree requirements and standards, while also meeting campus-based needs.
- Serve as the deciding voice on the BEC Chengdu campus for faculty and staff hiring and training, curriculum development and implementation, and student services implementation.
- Nurture a culture that is collegiate, supportive, and inclusive.
- Oversee partnerships with community organizations, school partners, and other stakeholders in order to maintain and build BEC Chengdu’s sustainability and effectiveness.
- Maintain relationships with relevant parent groups, education organizations, and peer entities
Preferred Qualifications (including educational and work experience): The Dean of the Early College Program, Chengdu should be eager to work in a deeply entrepreneurial setting; they should be practical, flexible, and hard working. Commitment to the mission of the Bard Early Colleges is expected. The successful candidate will have:
- Doctorate in a field of study corresponding to an area of the Bard College curriculum
- 5-10 years of overall professional experience in education and/or non-profit roles
- Close knowledge of China’s education system and landscape
- Ability to inspire others to believe in BEC Chengdu’s mission and vision
- Candidates should be able to communicate effectively in both Chinese and English
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a brief letter of interest, CV, and names of three references through Interfolio.com. Review of applications to begin immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.