EVALUATOR/DSO INTO HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
INTO Hofstra is a partnership between Hofstra University and INTO University Partnerships and is an initiative to increase the number of international students at Hofstra University and to assist the University in meeting its internationalization goals. The Evaluator/DSO will evaluate credentials and determine if international students are admissible to the University in a variety of programs: undergraduate and graduate degree programs, first-year "pathway" programs; English language programs and special short-term programs. Decisions involve interpretation of complex standards and foreign credentials from all over the world. Impact of decisions are critical to the student’s personal success and the reputation of Hofstra and the INTO Hofstra program.
As a Designated School Official, the Evaluator/DSO will issue initial I-20s for admitted international students.
Characteristic Duties and Essential Responsibilities:
• Evaluate foreign credentials, convert foreign grading scales, and assist in admissions decision processing for international applicants to university graduate and undergraduate programs, as well as INTO Hofstra Pathway and Academic English programs
• Serve as Designated School Official for F-1 student visa purposes and stay informed on general immigration matters
• Evaluate financial and application documentation, issue immigration documents for new and continuing international students, and update student records in various databases
• Conduct research to determine if post-secondary institution(s) are accredited and/or recognized using reference books and internet resources to determine whether University requirements are met.
• Liaise with the University Office of Admissions and the INTO Application Processing Center on application decisions, processes and procedures
• Work with enrollment managers and credential evaluators at other IUP partnerships to advance best practices
• Remain up to date on evaluation standards, educational practices and the latest information on academic policy regarding international admissions standards at the undergraduate and graduate level
• Contribute to student services activities such as orientation, educational events, and other Center-wide programs as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
• Must be a U.S. Citizen or have Permanent Resident status at time of application in order to serve as a Designated School Official for F-1 visa purposes
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least one year of experience evaluating foreign academic credentials at a post-secondary institution strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of various countries’ educational systems, international credentials evaluation procedures; and the ability to oversee initial transcript evaluation
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and have experience with student data systems, e.g. Banner.
• Strong oral/written communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of and/or experience with international student programs such as ESL and academic preparatory programs preferred.
• Experience using Salesforce, or similar CRM software preferred.
• Experience living and working overseas preferred.
• Knowledge of another language preferred.
Skills and abilities:
• Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, work under pressure and, when necessary, with minimal resources
• Detail oriented, organized, and able to juggle a fast-paced working environment
• Ability to build effective relationships with key stakeholders
• Ability to deploy and manage resources effectively with efficient priority and time management
• Ability to maintain sound judgment and decision-making even when under pressure
• Competent IT and analytical skills
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: [email protected]
Please indicate "Evaluator/DSO INTO Hofstra University" in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for EVALUATOR/DSO INTO HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly