PROGRAM MANAGER INTO HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
INTO Hofstra is a partnership between Hofstra University and INTO University Partnerships and is an initiative to increase the number of international students at Hofstra University and to assist the University in meeting its internationalization goals. This position will manage the day-to-day operations of the INTO Partnership English language and Pathway programs, will provide subject matter expertise while ensuring effective oversight of course outcomes, student success, and adherence to policy and standards and will assist with budget accountability, management of staff activities and training.
Incumbent will manage program development, content delivery, and aim to maximize student success within the INTO Partnership English language programs (Academic English, Graduate and Undergraduate Pathway, and others as they are developed). The successful candidate will excel in providing first class academic provision and student support for all students enrolled in these programs.
Characteristic Duties and Essential Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of this position may change and develop over time, but will include the following:
• Directs curriculum development and makes recommendations to the Academic Director for adjustments or changes to academic services, program delivery, and curriculum; and further implements the approved changes independently.
• Review instructor/course effectiveness to ensure the high quality and integrity of Partnership programs.
• Establish effective tools and channels for program evaluation (e.g. feedback from students & teaching staff; staff-student committees; feedback from Departments and Colleges etc.).
• Implement administrative and record-keeping processes associated with teaching and assessment (e.g. student progress reports, test invigilation, marks sheets, attendance and activity records, tutorial logs, advising logs, and references).
• Manage and plan teaching needs with the Academic Director by strategically hiring 9-month, 12-month, or adjunct instructors based on expected enrollment cycles.
• Effectively allocate teaching resources and student enrollments for successful program delivery and financial viability.
• Communicate and implement key policies, including agreed upon standards for teaching, program goals, curriculum, materials, resources and methodology.
• Provide staff with on-going support and guidance with regard to the teaching and care of students (including delivering verbal and written warnings, and running orientation sessions).
• Develop and manage academic support services including bridge courses, language partner programs, tutoring, scheduling, advising and establishment of the Learning Resource Center.
• Plan and administer placement testing for incoming students, and ensure they are registered in appropriate levels.
• Coordinate with university departments to arrange space in degree courses, accuracy of course catalogs, classroom scheduling and other logistics.
• Work closely with Center staff to facilitate appropriate academic advising and direction on meeting progression requirements. Leads efforts to ensure appropriate academic support within the programs.
• Facilitate academic staff orientation, performance management, and professional development.
• Contribute to the development of marketing and brand strategy to promote Partnership programs.
• Serves on committees related to accreditation as assigned.
• Complete all necessary administrative duties as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master's Degree in TESOL, Linguistics, Education, Composition or other closely related field.
• Demonstrated excellence in ESL teaching with a record of at least four years of full-time experience.
• Ability to work well as part of a team in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to build and manage relationships with peers, senior managers, university stakeholders, parents and students from a range of linguistic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
• Advanced level English language skills typically demonstrated by the completion of a Bachelor's and Master's degree through the medium of English.
• IT literate with ability to use all standard software to generate professional, well-presented documents and presentations including text and images.
• Teaching experience in a university academic preparation program.
• Ability to communicate and influence others and ensure the message is clearly understood.
• Ability to apply sound judgment and ethical decision-making skills pertaining to confidential information.
• An understanding of higher education and the needs and requirements of international students.
• Ability to put in place systems and processes that are effective and efficient and produce quality, timely management information.
• Commitment to University goals and strategies for expanding international programs.
• Must be able to travel freely to and from the United States.
• Leadership and competence in teaching at university level.
• Prior administrative experience working with second language learners.
• International teaching experience in addition to US experience.
• Knowledge and experience of the languages and cultures represented in the student body.
• Interest and expertise in Technology Enhanced Language Learning (TELL) tools such as Starboards; online resources; computer classrooms; digital audio/video and iPads.
• Ability to maximize the efficiency of resources available within the agreed constraints.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: [email protected]
Please indicate "Program Manager INTO Hofstra University" in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Apply for PROGRAM MANAGER INTO HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly