Chair/Director and Faculty, VCUarts Qatar
Chair/Director and Faculty Positions
For the 2019-2020 Academic Year
VCUarts Qatar is the international branch campus of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts (VCUarts). Located in Richmond, Virginia, VCUarts (www.arts.vcu.edu) is the top-ranked public art school in the U.S. VCUarts Qatar was established in 1998 through a partnership with the Qatar Foundation and offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking; a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history; and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUarts Qatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The current student body represents a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from 38 countries.
Qatar, with English as the standard second language, is a progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, while honoring a rich tradition that is evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The U.S. Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
VCUarts Qatar is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and inclusive environment and strongly encourages applications from all racial/ethnic, gender and social identities. VCUarts Qatar faculty provide leadership by mentoring students; fostering collaborative and hybrid curriculum and research across the arts and broader campus; demonstrate through research, teaching, and/or public engagement the richness of diversity in the learning experience; and integrate multicultural approaches and perspectives into instructional methods.
Collaboration-minded innovators who are committed to working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body at VCUarts Qatar and who have qualifications, experience, and demonstrated strengths across their area(s) of expertise are invited to apply for the following positions:
- Specialization in the arts of any geographic region of the ancient world, preferably with a research and teaching focus on relationships between and among multiple regions
- 9-month Assistant Professor; non-tenure eligible; PhD in Art History or a related field required
- Department Chair
- 12-month Assistant/Associate/Professor; non-tenure eligible; MFA, PhD, or equivalent graduate degree in Visual Communications or Graphic Design or equivalent professional training and experience required
- Department Chair
- 12-month Assistant/Associate/Professor; non-tenure eligible; Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred, and/or training and substantial industry experience that equates to an advanced degree
Painting + Printmaking
- Program Director
- 12-month Assistant/Associate/Professor; non-tenure eligible; MFA or equivalent training and professional experience required
Position announcements, qualifications, and application instructions are available online at VCU eJobs: vcujobs.com
Application due date: February 11, 2019
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.