Legal Counsel– Staff - California Northstate University, Elk Grove, California, USA
POSITION TITLE: Legal Counsel REPORTS TO: Legal Counsel
WORK SCHEDULE: 1.0 FTE, full time, exempt, $90,000-110,000 (commensurate with experience)
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
California Northstate University seeks a creative, collaborative junior attorney to support the University’s missions of advancing the art and science of healthcare.
Reporting directly to University General Counsel, the junior attorney will have the opportunity to advise on a variety of matters for the University, including University policy, innovative academic collaborations, domestic research initiatives, commercial transactions and general business matters. The attorney will work collaboratively with colleagues within the University to provide strategic legal advice throughout the University and help translate complex problems into practical solutions. Representative areas of practice include research and academic collaborations; intellectual property; employment law; participation on committees as a legal advisor; and policy development.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA-accredited law school required. Licensed or eligible for immediate licensure to practice law in the State of California is required.
- Superior written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, strong emotional intelligence, strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, and a willingness to handle a broad range of legal matters both independently and as part of a team.
- The candidate should be eager to expand into areas outside his or her primary area of expertise.
- Experience representing a university or academic research center, or other in-house legal experience a plus.
- Ability to handle legal issues arising out of sponsored and collaborative research as well as working knowledge in drafting and negotiating contracts for a variety of general business transactions preferred.
- Prior experience advising faculty and administrators at a university or academic center desirable.
- Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
- Demonstrate excellent judgment, analytical ability, critical thinking and risk management skills
- Prepare, analyze and review a variety of contracts with vendors, students, and other third parties (examples include, Enrollment Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements Consulting Agreements, Purchase Orders, Lease Agreements, etc.).
- Draft, develop and update contract templates and other forms used by the University.
- Negotiate contracts, alongside personnel, under swift time constraints while meeting deadlines.
- Support University leadership with legal and regulatory advice, and assist on various business transactions.
- Provide support on corporate, real estate, and litigation matters as appropriate.
- Research and analyze the law on complex issues to support business/legal decisions.
- Advise University personnel in a way that ensures compliance with rules and regulations.
- Assist in the development of policies and practices based on federal, state and local legal requirements.
- Prepare responses to inquiries from regulatory agencies, accreditation agencies, and other applicable parties.
- Stay current on legal and regulatory issues affecting the University and the industry.
- Collaborate on various legal, business, and administrative functions as needed.
- Assist with the managing of outside legal counsels, as needed for litigation and corporate transactional issues.
- Develops and implements legal counsel office procedures by analyzing current procedures; recommending changes.
- Periodic review of policies and procedures for compliance with education codes and accreditation standards.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Prepare correspondence as needed within the department.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For full consideration, candidates should provide resume with at least three references. All candidates are asked to provide a cover letter, articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University's vision and mission statements.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, list of references, and any additional information tothe HR Department . Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.