Associate Director of Human Resources
The Associate Director of Human Resources, under the direction of the Executive Director of Human Resources, is responsible for providing human resource services College-wide, which includes the main campus in Columbia, Missouri, the nationwide locations, and online operations. The position requires professionalism, flexibility and experience in a wide range of human resources related duties and responsibilities. This position will provide consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, training and development, and employee relations.
- Perform job duties in accordance with Columbia College’s vision, mission and values, and contributes to the development of the Department.
- Practice superior customer service.
- Fulfill additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Display respect and civility to all constituencies in all communications.
- Attend work timely and on a regular basis during the established hours of operation; work additional hours as business necessitates.
- Lead investigations, make recommendations, and draft investigative reports regarding employment matters, as well as those that fall within the realm of Title IX
- Provide situational assistance to directors and supervisors regarding human resources management issues within their departments
- Consult with supervisors and employees on College policies and procedures, disciplinary actions, and dispute resolution
- Work collaboratively with other College professionals to ensure that the College’s employment practices are in compliance with federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
- Stay up-to-date of regulatory changes, trends, and best practices and assess the potential impact of these changes on the College
- Provide oversight of recruitment for all open positions, including: employment postings, conducting initial screenings, scheduling interviews for open positions, conducting background checks and reference checks on candidates
- Assist with overseeing the benefit administration of the College’s benefit plans
- Serve as a liaison between the College, employees, and external partners with regards to the College's benefit plans
- Assist in the maintenance of personnel and benefits files for the College
- Coordinate and work collaboratively with the Payroll Office
- Work collaboratively with Executive Director in all FMLA, ADA & Workers Comp cases
- Create and maintain internal HR procedure manuals for all HR processes
- Provide oversight of planning, development, and facilitation of quarterly and first day employee orientations
- Serve on and attend meetings of various committees
- Coordinate annual employee recognition programs and assist with HR sponsored events
- Have direct oversight of the Student Employment Program and budget
- Utilize a human capital management system College-wide for recruitment, position control, time and attendance tracking, and performance management
- Recommend, evaluate, and participate in employee development for the College
Required Core Competencies and Professional Experience:
- Ability to fluently read, write, and understand the English language.
- Proficiency with the following, but not limited to: active listening; speaking; writing; critical thinking; judgment and decision making; monitoring; reading comprehension; time management; coordination; and management of personnel resources.
- Proficiency for using a variety of computer and technology-related software and equipment, including Microsoft Office products and database systems.
- Proficiency in using web-based technologies, including database systems.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, with or without direct supervision.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, customer service, and organizational skills.
- Human Resources experience with knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, employee relations, and personnel information systems
- Ability to foster and create positive professional relationships with all other College units
- Critical evaluation of work by developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish tasks
- Demonstrate at all times professional and ethical practices when communicating to supervisors and co-workers
- Ability to successfully manage and prioritize multiple tasks at the same time
- Minimum of seven (7) years professional level Human Resources experience is required
Required Level of Education: Bachelor's degree in Human Resources
Preferred Level of Education: Master's degree
Other Requirements: Ability to satisfy, within the parameters set by the College and consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
Special Requirements (if any): Some over-night and out-of-state travel may be required on occasion.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals seeking accommodation should contact the Human Resources Department without delay. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, talk, and hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crawl. Employee must be able to type on a computer keyboard and use a computer monitor on a regular basis.
The work environment conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is rarely exposed to outside weather conditions; however, possible exposure to hazards and physical risks to personal safety may occur while operating certain equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually mild.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.