Requisition # 2019-9768
Department Princeton Environmental Inst
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 1/14/2019
Princeton Environmental Institute (PEI) - the interdisciplinary center of environmental research, education and outreach - seeks a highly competent and creative Web Developer to further the development and maintenance of PEI's family of websites as essential resources and source of information serving faculty, staff, students, research affiliates, collaborators, and the public with interest in environmental research and teaching at Princeton. The incumbent will play a key role in the communication and presentation of PEI information, news and events through various platforms.
Applicants must apply online and submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Reporting to the Manager, Finance and Administration and working closely with the Manager, Communication and Outreach and other PEI staff, the Web Developer's responsibilities include:
Website Design, Development and Maintenance:
- Develop, maintain and update PEI's family of websites as essential resources for sharing information, content and news concerning PEI's programs and people and as a primary vehicle for communicating with broad constituencies including faculty, staff, students, and the public.
- Work collaboratively with PEI Managers to update and maintain websites with news, announcements, deadlines, feature stories, directories, archives, video recordings and other content.
- Manage back-end aspects of PEI-hosted sites, including coding, design, maintenance, updates and administration of websites using c-Panel and Drupal.
- Implement and monitor website security while working closely with Princeton's Office of Information Technology.
- Conduct light server administration and patching.
- Assure compliance with University standards for website design and accessibility.
- Adhere to design standards that have been established for PEI and its related family of programs to insure brand identity. Assure consistency of website(s) layout, presentation of PEI materials and proper utilization of design templates.
- Work with Manager, Communications and Outreach and other Program Managers to support the layout, graphic design and delivery of materials used for communications and promotional purposes including fliers, posters, annual reports, event programs, brochures, and other publications.
- Maintain consistency in the use of prescribed design templates and standards in the development of websites and communications materials.
- Assist in the formatting and scaling of event posters for use email blasts and ad copy for various publications.
- Maintain a large photographic archive for use in promotional materials and news.
- Create and embed YouTube videos to PEI site and related programs.
- Manage the PEI Guyot Hall TV with provided content.
- Support PEI leadership in the development of PowerPoint presentations.
- Be proficient and knowledgeable regarding use and application of PEI graphic design standards.
- Attend monthly SCAD/DCS meetings, trainings and events including but not limited to SCAD Breakfast meetings, Monthly SCAD/DCS Meetings, and Monthly SDST Meetings.
- Participate in training opportunities provided by the Support for Computing in Academic Departments/Department Computing Support (SCAD/DCS) program
- Keep current on technologies to enhance communications, end-user functionality and ease of use.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science with at least 2 years of experience in custom web development, project management, implementation and maintenance or at least 4 years of equivalent experience.
- Comprehensive experience in website design and development and content management, particularly WordPress and Drupal, including web-based integration, multiple-database platforms, cross-browser compatibility and script implementation.
- Experience with database administration to design and maintain MySQL and other relational databases.
- Familiarity with Adobe software, including Acrobat Professional and Photoshop.
- Experience in photography and ability to produce photos for the web and print publications.
- Experience with creating and embedding YouTube videos.
- Advanced expertise with Google Analytics, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to independently manage time and balance priorities, while also working in a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple projects in a fast-moving, deadline-driven environment with attention to detail and flexibility to respond to shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and responsive to multiple needs.
- Prior work experience/familiarity with University applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles and practices of effective website design/development from both the server and client perspectives including site architecture, section 508/ADA compliance requirements, usability testing, search engine optimization and statistical analysis.
- Familiarity with continuous integration; ability to work from and maintain existing code bases; and adhere to web standards.
- Ability to work across platforms on multi-operating systems including Windows and Macintosh.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.