Scientific Instrument Technician
Scientific Instrument Technician
Scientific Instr Technician
Materials Science & Engineer - 130330
Is this an internal posting only?
Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
UNT's College of Engineering offers Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral degrees in various engineering disciplines. The College's innovative curricula are taught by experienced faculty that will equip students with life-long learning.
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering helps students prepare for the educational and technological challenges of the 21st century. Students are educated about the creation, application, and characterization of new materials for manufacturing products. Students are given opportunities for hands-on research with modern equipment and facilities.
The Materials Science & Engineer Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Scientific Instrument Technician to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Installing, inspecting, troubleshooting, repairing, modifying, designing, and fabricating instruments and equipment used for scientific experiments.
* Perform demonstrations for faculty and students on the proper operation of equipment.
* Performing mechanical and electrical layout, construction, modification, testing, adjustment, calibration, and preventive maintenance on simple and complex equipment for use in scientific research or instruction.
* Ordering supplies and parts.
* Asset inventory.
* Performing safety inspections and observing safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
* Maintaining the department website for research laboratories with timely updates.
* Will perform various other tasks as deemed necessary by the Department Chair.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Associate's Degree in related field and three years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Working knowledge of related tools, equipment, materials, and other devices.
* Ability to read and interpret complex drawings, charts and designs.
* Ability to work from ideas and to draw own sketches and designs.
* Ability to make varied mathematical computations involved in designing and constructing apparatus and equipment.
* Skill in the care and use of tools and equipment.
* Ability to design, trouble-shoot and maintain complex equipment.
* Ability to operate standard tools and equipment.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Basic knowledge of website design, as this position will be making research activities and results available on the department research lab web page.
* Working knowledge of Drupal 7.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and list of 3 professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting