Senior HVAC Technician
Senior HVAC Technician
Senior HVAC Technician
Facilities-Gen - 152000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Thursday, 1pm-11pm; 40 hours/week
The Utilities group within the Facilities Maintenance Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Senior Skilled Craft Technician - HVAC to join our team.
The division consists of seven Departments: Custodial Services, Grounds Department, Electrical Maintenance, Utilities Maintenance, Structural Maintenance, Construction Services, and Auxiliary Services. For additional information on the Facilities Maintenance department you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance
The Facilities Maintenance Department supports the academic, research, housing, and dining facility needs for the University of North Texas while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the University's physical assets. The Facilities Maintenance team performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs of the campus buildings and utility infrastructure. Grounds services provides an aesthetically pleasing environment for University faculty, staff, students, and visitors by maintaining all campus turf, landscapes, irrigation system, litter control, solid waste management and recycling. Facilities Maintenance maintains, repairs, constructs, and renovates University facilities and installed systems in accordance with applicable codes and regulations, and in conformance with University policies and standards.
As one of the nation's largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of approximately 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused Tier One Public Research University with 12 colleges and schools offering 101 bachelors, 82 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there's something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years, the state's most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a "Best in the West" university. Livability.com named Denton the 9th Best College Town in the nation.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions: Facilities Planning, Design & Construction (FPDC); Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities you may visit our website at: www.facilities.unt.edu. University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Senior HVAC Technician to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Maintenance, repairs, and upgrades to all equipment associated with HVAC for buildings on the UNT Denton Campuses. These systems include chillers, pumps, cooling towers, DX systems, and a campus wide chilled water distribution loop.
* Primary responsibilities will be maintaining the universities lab and general building exhaust systems - including repair, troubleshooting, & replacement of exhaust fans, belts, & motors.
* This position also performs all other duties assigned including decorative fountain repairs, and building automation troubleshooting/repair.
* The goal of this position is to provide livable/workable interior space for Students, Faculty, Staff, and Research.
* Other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a High School Diploma/GED equivalent and five years of experience in maintenance/repair or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Substitution of education for experience allowed. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of and skill in use of standard tools, equipment, materials, methods, and practices of general maintenance task; knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of general maintenance; knowledge of blueprints, schematics, and working drawings.
* Ability to use basic shop math applications.
* Ability to locate and identify problems in appropriate building system or equipment and to plan and execute necessary repairs.
* Physical ability to perform moderately heavy physical work which includes lifting and crawling, and to remain outdoors in inclement weather.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
Required: Section 608 Refrigeration Technician Certification. Possession of a valid Texas driver's license or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment; ability to drive a vehicle and maintain coverage under University liability insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Five (5) years of HVAC experience preferably working with chilled water systems, or a combination of training and work experience.
* Experience working with electric motors & electrical circuits.
* Strong DX experience is also helpful. Universal EPA certification.
* Prior experience working within the setting of a higher education institution.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting