SPORTS PERFORMANCE SPECIALIST - PART-TIME
SPORTS PERFORMANCE SPECIALIST - PART-TIME
Sports Performance Specialist
The Duke Sports Performance, Life-long Athlete and Ever Strong programs, at the Duke Sports Sciences Institute, under the Department of Orthopaedics of Duke University Medical Center, in Durham, NC invites applicants to apply for our PART - TIME Sports Performance Specialist position.
The Sports Performance Specialist focuses primarily on exercise training of participants in three programs:
* Sports Performance (currently competitive athletes)
* Life-long Athlete (former athletes no longer competing)
* Ever Strong (anyone of any age who wants to be strong and fit)
The Sports Performance Specialist may also conduct field-based, track-based, gym-based, and lab-based assessments.
* Consult with potential clients who inquire about our services.
* Schedule, prepare for, and deliver exercise training sessions. Sessions must be designed to be individual-specific, goal-specific, sport-specific, and position-specific. Areas of focus may include strength, agility, speed, power, endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Clients range across a full spectrum from current professional and elite athletes to individuals with orthopaedic, cardiovascular, metabolic and other conditions. As such, staff must have broad knowledge and ability to create appropriate plans across this spectrum.
* Evaluate health histories, demonstrate and/or explain selected exercises, observe carefully for form and signs or symptoms of exertional intolerance, issue corrective statements, listen attentively, offer encouragement, understand preferences, ensure safety, and minimize injury risk.
* Conduct field-based, track-based, gym-based and lab-based assessments which may focus on agility, speed, power, endurance, strength, body composition, and flexibility. Pre-work may include querying client, selecting and/or designing assessments (that will generate data to be used in decision-making with regard to selecting the training techniques that will improve performance for the team as well as for each athlete), and design data-collection forms. Pre-work may also include determining instrumentation, equipment and supplies needed and to obtain, organize, and transport these items and to set up for the tests.
* Following testing, create physiologic graphics, report findings, and offer counsel.
Position requires lifting, carrying loads, kneeling, crouching, grasping, swimming and ability to work in environmental conditions of heat, humidity, cold temperatures, windy conditions, all types of precipitation, etc.
Prefer one year of experience in fitness- related field.
Certification is required in Basic Life Support and preferred from a fitness professional certifying
65 FITNESS SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in exercise science, physical education or related field.
Prefer one year of experience in a corporate, commercial or hospital-based fitness program and/or health promotion.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.