Dean of Admission
ABOUT MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY
Millikin University’s hallmark approach to education, Performance Learning, connects classroom theory and practice to real-world application resulting in students’ confidence, mastery of their futures, graduate readiness, and post-graduate success. Millikin students live out their learning through engagement, experience, risk, and reward. They start their careers on day one, leading graduates to a 99% success rate of gaining employment or entering graduate or professional school within six months of graduation: the primary reason Millikin was named the “Top College in Illinois to Land You a Job” by Zippia.com. In keeping with the highest ambitions of the liberal arts, Millikin’s Performance Learning leads students to be self-aware, confident, and entrepreneurial in approaching their lives and their professions.
Millikin University is a private, comprehensive university, founded in 1901 and currently educating more than 2,000 students. Millikin offers more than 50 academic programs – including undergraduate, graduate and non-degree programs – and serves fulltime and part time traditional and non-traditional students. The University is organized into four major colleges/schools: The College of Arts & Sciences, the College of Fine Arts, the College of Professional Studies, and the Tabor School of Business.
ABOUT DECATUR, ILLINOIS
A compact, residential campus with distinct Elizabethan-style, red brick architecture, Millikin is situated on 70 acres in Decatur, Illinois, a city of nearly 75,000 in the heart of the Midwest, just three hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. Decatur is known for its beauty, vibrancy, and diverse culture. It boasts a stellar park system, agribusiness hub, and the Midwest Inland Port, serving four of the seven major US railroads. Decatur traces its roots to the 1820s when a small town, situated amongst some of the world’s richest and most productive farmland, was incorporated by a group of entrepreneurs, engineers, farmers, and forward-thinking leaders. Today, Decatur residents enjoy a bustling downtown area, scenic Lake Decatur, culturally rich entertainment options, and recreational opportunities. Its diverse commercial climate, ranging from small businesses to two of the world’s largest agricultural processors (ADM and Tate & Lyle) and a large Caterpillar plant, provide Millikin students excellent performance learning venues outside the university setting. Decatur’s robust professional community, area hospitals, and industrial settings create natural environments for student learning and internships.
ADVERTISED JOB SUMMARY
Millikin University is seeking a Dean of Admission to provide vision and leadership to its recruitment team and operations. The successful candidate will report directly to the Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing and exemplify a passion for higher education, a keen knowledge of best practices in admission and recruitment, and a vigor for building relationships
with prospective students and families and throughout the University. The Dean will embrace the University’s Performance Learning approach, diverse student body, culturally rich environment, and high standard of excellence with exceptional commitment, ownership, energy, integrity, communication skills, leadership ability, professional acumen and technological prowess to meet successfully the University’s recruitment goals. You may view a complete job description at millikin.edu/employment.
- Serve as the University expert on all admission and recruitment issues facing private, comprehensive universities in the Midwest and throughout higher education.
- Aggressively seek and recruit academically, artistically and athletically talented students to increase Millikin’s diverse student body and achieve strategic enrollment goals.
- Create, develop and execute strategic recruitment plans for Millikin’s traditional and non-traditional undergraduate, graduate and non-degree programs for domestic and international students.
- Understand and employ financial aid leveraging strategies to enhance growth and intentionally shape the student body.
- Creatively lead, manage, and develop a team of nearly 20 admission professionals to implement best practices in recruitment strategies, tactics, and operations.
- Embrace and utilize recruitment and retention technologies including, but not limited to, the University’s student information system (Ellucian Banner) and customer relationship management system (TargetX) to maximize efficiencies.
- Strengthen brand awareness and ensure communication of Millikin’s Performance Learning brand.
- Serve as a strong partner to faculty, master a clear knowledge of the University’s academic offerings and culture, and lead faculty engagement in the recruitment process.
- Work closely with the Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing to lead strategic planning for growth in the student body at Millikin University.
- Communicate effectively and proactively with others – prospective students, University colleagues, and external constituencies – at all times.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have a master’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in admission or enrollment management in higher education. A master’s degree with 10 years of experience is preferred. The individual should have extensive experience in higher education admissions demonstrating:
- An outstanding record of successful recruitment
- A hunger, drive, energy and competitive spirit for recruitment in private higher education
- Evidence of effective team leadership, management, training and skills-development
- Proficiency and adaptability in using enrollment technologies and/or data systems
- Strong ability to access, analyze, and utilize data and to engage in strategic planning
- Talent, charm, skill and strength in building relationships with prospective students and their families as well as with key University partners to achieve University goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references to millikin.edu/employment. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Employment and first day of work is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Millikin University is an equalopportunity employer. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups in this field are encouraged to apply. Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Millikin University is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn, and thrive. Millikin offers a competitive salary and full benefit package. Desired start date is July 1, 2019.The position will remain open until filled.