Vice President for Marketing
Certain positions will be posted internally for 5 business days from the posting date. External Candidates please be sure to use the External Application form. If the External Application form is not available, this posting is not yet open to External Candidates.Position Information Position Title Vice President for Marketing Requisition Number STFR005054 Division/College External Affairs Interdisciplinary Division/College Location Boston Main Campus Full-time/Part-time Full Time Grade 99 Posting Date 11/08/2018 Responsibilities
Northeastern is a global research university with a distinctive experience-driven approach to education and discovery that is designed to empower learners and innovators to achieve their goals in an increasingly complex, technology-based economy.
Toward that end, Northeastern integrates classroom studies with experiential learning opportunities—including its signature cooperative education program—in 136 countries, and pursues use-inspired research with a particular emphasis on global challenges in health, security, and sustainability.
Based in Boston, and with regional campuses across North America, Northeastern enrolls more than 18,000 undergraduate and 8,000 graduate students. Northeastern offers a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Students choose from among more than 175 undergraduate majors and concentrations and more than 200 graduate programs.
Today, Northeastern is experiencing extraordinary growth in admissions selectivity, research activity, tenured and tenure-track faculty, philanthropic opportunities, and reputation. It has been ranked among the top 50 national universities by U.S. News & World Report for six consecutive years. Northeastern has achieved designation as an R1 research university by the Carnegie Classification system, reserved for U.S. universities with the highest level of research activity. And the university’s bond rating from Moody’s Investors Service has been upgraded to A1, with a stable outlook.
All of these achievements are the direct result of a strategic planning process led by the university’s senior leadership team, with input from faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
The current academic plan, Northeastern 2025, builds on the university’s leadership as a global innovator that moves higher education beyond traditional boundaries in learning and research. Based on the vision of President Joseph E. Aoun, Northeastern is building a global university system. This network of campuses, hubs, and partners in industry, government, and academia will meet learners wherever they are or wish to go, and greatly broaden the scope of collaboration for researchers and entrepreneurs.
Three years into Northeastern 2025, the university has already established a reputation as a leader in this space. It has pioneered new avenues for experiential lifelong learning in online and hybrid formats and established new campuses as platforms for learning and research in Charlotte, NC, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, and Toronto.
Leveraging Northeastern’s established relationships with more than 3,000 employers and innovation-focused organizations worldwide —including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs—the university has a distinct advantage in expanding this network.
For more information, please visit northeastern.edu.
Vice President for Marketing
Reports to: Michael Armini
Senior Vice President for External Affairs
This is a tremendous opportunity for a talented marketing leader: a “builder” who can take an “outside-in” view in re-imagining the marketing capability for a respected top-tier research university. Northeastern University’s dynamic senior leadership team has a clear mission and vision and the Vice President for Marketing will play a critical role in sharpening and elevating Northeastern’s profile and reputation as the university moves to execute the ambitious vision outlined in Northeastern 2025.
The Vice President for Marketing will lead the central marketing team of a dynamic, fast-moving, and complex research university. This will require working in close collaboration with peer vice presidents—particularly the Vice President for Communications and Vice President for Government Relations—as well as senior leaders across the university. There is an opportunity to transform the university’s digital landscape to be a more cohesive, constituent focused brand experience. The university also recently revised its brand identity assets—both visual marks and messaging—and the vice president will lead the internal and external roll-out of this new brand, which includes the university’ regional campuses across North America.
• Develop a broad knowledge and thorough understanding of the market trends and external forces shaping the brand.
• Work closely with the Senior Vice President of External Affairs and other senior leaders within External Affairs, and members of the university’s senior leadership team to gain a thorough understanding of Northeastern 2025. Ensure proactive and aligned marketing strategies are in place and executed efficiently to generate global attention to Northeastern’s achievements and future goals.
• Work as a collaborative partner with other externally facing offices, including enrollment management, advancement, athletics, and various colleges and schools to ensure quality and consistency of institutional presentation.
• Lead and inspire a team of marketing, creative, and digital professionals charged with promoting the Northeastern University brand and advancing its strategic goals and objectives. Recruit and deploy outside agencies in support of their goals.
• Take an engaged approach to building, coaching, mentoring, and guiding the team in an effort to increase the capabilities and improve the effectiveness of the marketing team. Evaluate the structure, resources, and capabilities to provide a proactive, strategic resource for Northeastern.
• Provide leadership for the University’s enterprise digital landscape and collaborate with key stakeholders in driving a digital strategy to build vibrant, engaged, and interactive online communications and communities.
• Act as an ambassador and evangelist supporting the continued development and optimization of the University’s digital initiatives; work with key constituents across the University to ensure effective implementation and results.Qualifications
Professional and Personal Profile:
• Innovative strategic marketing professional with a successful track record of advancing consequential brands to the next level while leading sophisticated marketing teams; must have substantial experience developing integrated marketing plans and programs for complex, matrix organizations tailored for different audiences and channels. Expressed commitment to the mission of education, scholarship, and research is important.
• A perceptive, creative, and energetic individual who can affect change in a dynamic environment and be an advocate for advancing the University brand internally and externally.
• Knows how to balance short-term urgencies and long-term vision and can work simultaneously to deliver both. Innovative and creative thinker—proactively identifies opportunities; motivated by challenges and opportunities.
• Ability to clearly articulate marketing strategies to non-subject matter experts.
• Excellent individual performer and team player with the presence to inspire; relationship builder who will partner cross-functionally and work effectively with various levels of the university; able to act as a leader across a matrix organization.
• Demonstrated ability to identify talent, build teams, mentor and develop team members, and inspire performance that exceeds expectations and maximize resources. Ability to manage up, down, and across.
• Ability to design and develop a structured process and consistently bring plans to life in a timely and effective manner.
• Understands the impact of actions within a broader political context and recognizes that flexibility in approach is critical to success. Demonstrates openness to non-traditional approaches and innovative solutions to opportunities and challenges.
• Collegial collaborator and decision maker with exceptional communication (written and oral); self-starter, high energy/drive; a relentlessly positive attitude and results oriented.
• Highly collaborative; proven track record of working effectively as part of an experienced management team and selling ideas to partners, and colleagues.
• Strong character, intelligence, integrity, and common sense.
• History of strategic and creative thinking, entrepreneurial spirit, and innovative leadership in developing marketing strategies and programs that engage a variety of diverse stakeholders.
• A change leader who is comfortable and stimulated by ambiguity, and can anticipate and adapt to change; is flexible and resilient.
• Strategic, executive presence; yet not afraid to “roll up sleeves”.
• Sense of Humor
• Baccalaureate degree required, advanced degree preferred.Additional Information
Northeastern University has retained The Ward Group to assist with this search. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Please reference Northeastern in the subject line.
What sets us apart:
Northeastern offers a highly competitive benefits package. A selection of current offerings includes medical, dental, and vision plans, generous retirement programs, paid parental leave, discounts on technology products, health and fitness programs, and professional development opportunities.Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).