Assistant Director of Academic Student Services
Certain positions will be posted internally for 5 business days from the posting date. External Candidates please be sure to use the External Application form. If the External Application form is not available, this posting is not yet open to External Candidates.Position Information Position Title Assistant Director of Academic Student Services Requisition Number STFR005100 Division/College Enrollment Management Interdisciplinary Division/College Location Boston Main Campus Full-time/Part-time Full Time Grade 11 Posting Date 11/29/2018 Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Academic Services and Student Support within the Office of Global Services, the Assistant Director of Academic Services helps carry out the strategic vision for a new academic support initiative for international students at Northeastern. The Assistant Director will implement priorities for academic support/retention as well as action plans for key cohorts. This person will collaborate with disparate groups about international student success/ challenges as well as develop, maintain, and communicate a list of support services for students and faculty. This work includes identifying campus policy that may lead to attrition.
Collaborating with advising units, co-op offices, and other support and academic offices, this person will serve as a liaison to existing support resources and also provide support for the development of new initiatives. The Assistant Director is expected to help OGS build strong working partnerships and collaborations with University offices including college academic and co-op advising, orientation, career services, student activities, Global Student Success, residential life, and CATLR.
The creation, support, and maintenance of mentorship programs for undergraduate and graduate students is also a priority of this role, as it relates to the students’ acclimation to the US classroom and transition to campus programs. Responding to student needs as identified, this person may also meet individually with student, providing academic coaching and other persistence support.
The Assistant Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Expand programing and services to ensure international students’ initial success in acclimating to the American-style classroom and the Northeastern learning community.
• Assist in establishing a robust language and cultural system to support international students’ need for academic success. This includes working with GSS to integrate such services into OGS operations.
• Gather information from partners and stakeholders about international student success and communicate with disparate stakeholders, as relevant.
• Draft retention, persistence and degree completion action plans, following the vision of priorities set by leadership.
• Work closely with CATLR to provide programming for faculty and TAs to better address integrating international students into the American classroom.
• Support academic mentorship programs—existing and new.
• Collaborate with other OGS staff to provide overall international student services and perform duties assigned by the Director to support the OGS’ operations in compliance, programming, communication, and engagement in EMSA’s strategic missions.
• Other duties as assigned.
A Masters degree required, terminal degree preferred. Demonstrated experience and leadership establishing new programs and developing academic courses/initiatives to support international students’ academic success. Experience in academic services and collaboration with multiple units within an institution of higher education.
Work experience at university-level for 3-5 years. Demonstrated cross-cultural experience and ability to relate effectively to individuals of varied backgrounds; strong advocacy skills and student-centered focus; superior written and oral communication ability; commitment to collaboration, innovation, and ongoing professional development.Additional Information Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).