CLASS-Student Services - 120200
Is this an internal posting only?
Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm, some evenings and weekends
The mission of UNT's College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences is to kindle the thirst for truth, justice, and beauty; to foster cultural literacy and scientific investigation; and to cultivate thinking, speaking, and writing abilities characterized by clear expression and logically coherent, evidence-based arguments. We see these as the values, forms of knowledge, and skills most needed by citizens of a democracy and by productive members of the global workforce.
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Advising Office's mission is to advise, teach, and empower students to define, clarify and achieve academic and personal goals through professional, caring service.
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Student Advising Office at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Academic Counselor to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Advise students/prospective students in multiple settings.
* Develop and implement programs and procedures to promote greater retention and timely graduation.
* Correspond to student questions via email, phone, or mail.
* Counsel undecided students on careers related to majors.
* Attend, represent, and actively participate at conferences and professional meetings involving advising and student services.
* Advise multi and interdisciplinary majors: Social Science and Integrative Studies.
* Develop programs and procedures to promote greater career awareness among students.
* Lead specialized advising workshops.
* Provide advanced academic counseling for students in complex situations.
* Assist with advising for Transfer and Freshman Orientations.
* Advise on transfer ability of credit from other schools and on AP/IB/CLEP exams to UNT and CLASS core requirements.
* Process degree audits and graduation applications as needed.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Current knowledge of student development and counseling theory.
* Strong presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
* Strong counseling skills including career development and group facilitation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
* Remains active in professional development.
At least two years of academic counseling experience in higher education setting preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting