Salary: $64,795.00 - $85,427.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-time Faculty - Tenure-Track
Job Number: 5728-f-01/19
Closing: 3/1/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Visalia, CA
Division: Student Services
College of the Sequoias is seeking a candidate to fill a full-time, tenure track general counselor position in the Student Services Division beginning August 2019.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting faculty who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Included, but not limited to the following:
- Conduct educational, vocational, career and personal counseling appointments as well as student orientation sessions for a diversified community college population.
- Interpret standardized tests for class placement recommendations.
- Provide follow-up counseling services to students as stipulated by state and college matriculation guidelines.
- Use electronic student educational planning and degree audit software to develop/create plans for students.
- Provide appropriate referrals to on/off campus resources for students.
- Evening counseling, weekend counseling and/or counseling at off-campus centers maybe requested.
- Remain current on new developments relating to programs for students within the California Community College system and University systems.
- Participate in appropriate counseling staff meetings and professional development.
- Perform other counseling related duties as specified by the division chair and/or dean of student services.
Participation in the governance of the District by way of committee assignments is expected. Other responsibilities include maintenance of a number of office hours, full participation in departmental responsibilities and the willingness to create and/or participate in and sustain an atmosphere of equality, which is respectful of diversity campus wide.
The candidate must meet the following criteria. The degree must be awarded from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent.
- Master's in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, or career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling OR
- The equivalent AND
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
The Hiring Committee also seeks evidence of the following:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Community College Counseling and related experiences.
- Computer literate in counseling software such as Assist. Knowledgeable in use of the Internet.
- Recent experience in community college or secondary counseling/guidance.
- Knowledge of testing materials and interpretation of career interest, personality, work values and similar career-relevant assessment criteria.
- Knowledge of requirements for transfer, vocational and remedial programs.
- Ability to participate in a collaborative relationship with students and faculty.
- Ability to make a positive contribution to the counseling program at College of the Sequoias by the development and/or implementation of special counseling programs or materials.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with students and staff.
- Classroom teaching experience.
Applicants must submit the following material to be considered:
- Completed online application.
- Diversity Statement (included in the application packet).
- Letter of interest, which addresses the Job Duties and Desirable Qualifications. In this letter, we invite applicants to expand on strengths not covered in other parts of the application.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work. (If transcripts are not in English, include a summary of courses and grades). Official transcripts are required upon employment.
- Equivalency documents (if necessary)
- Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.
Full-time faculty members enjoy a number of benefits while working at the College of the Sequoias. These benefits include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (for more information, please visit "Employee Insurance" on COS' Human Resources webpage at: http://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Insurance.aspx
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan (STRS or PERS)
01 The candidate must meet the following criteria. The degree must be awarded from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent.
- Master's in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, or career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling.
- The equivalent - See job flyer for equivalency procedures.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/2297640/general-counselor
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency