Assistant or Associate Professor of Management and Business Communication
Open Until Filled – ExtendedDepartment Name College of Business Degree/Program B.S. Business Administration; B.S. Sustainable Hospitality Management; MBA Job Number FAC2017-280 Priority Screening Date 09/23/2018 Recruitment Status Priority screening date extended to September 23, 2018 Projected Start Date Position Description
The College of Business (COB) at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) seeks outstanding candidates for a tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor position in Management and Business Communication.
CSUMB is the 21st campus of the CSU system and provides over 7,000 students an extraordinary opportunity to learn on a residential campus just one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. Its diverse student body receives personal attention in small classes while pursuing degrees in 25 undergraduate and eight graduate majors. In 2013, the President of the University formed the College of Business (COB) with one of the primary goals being the pursuit of accreditation by AACSB International. In 2015, COB moved into a new state-of-the-art building to serve its more than 1,000 undergraduate students enrolled in two B.S. degree programs: 1) Business Administration and 2) Sustainable Hospitality Management. The online MBA has over 200 graduate students and is the largest graduate program on campus. COB also hosts the Institute for Innovation & Economic Development (iiED) and is a partner in the Small Business Development Center.
- Teaching 8 credits per semester for the first two years and thereafter teaching 12 credits per semester of undergraduate and graduate level courses.
- Facilitating engaged learning to promote student success in an outcomes-based education environment.
- Developing an effective curriculum, benchmarking the best teaching practices of business communication (preferably blended with business ethics/Corporate Social Responsibility) in higher education.
- Maintaining Scholarly Academic (SA) status consistent with AACSB standards through continuous scholarly activities.
- Participating actively and exercising collaborative peer leadership in college-level and university-level administrative committees.
- Using academic training and experience to serve the profession and the public and to contribute to the CSUMB Vision.
- Willing to mentor students and support their career goals through introductions and referrals to relevant firms.
- Ph.D. in management and/or business communication or related field such as business ethics by the time of appointment from a regionally and/or AACSB accredited doctoral program.
- Commitment to teaching excellence at the undergraduate level and the potential to teach at the graduate level.
- Ability to teach a range of management courses effectively, with a primary focus on business communication at the undergraduate and graduate levels and in various delivery modalities (face-to-face, hybrid, fully online).
- Ability to regularly publish research in relevant peer‐reviewed journals. Candidates seeking a position at the Associate rank must demonstrate a publication record commensurate with rank.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Sensitivity in working with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community and business.
- Ability to work with the business community to further the goals of the students, college, and university.
- Work experience in business, especially business communication, public relations, corporate public affairs or business ethics/CSR.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to teach business communication blended with business ethics and CSR (e.g. Giving Voice to Values approach).
- Since CSUMB’s business community is composed in large part of agriculture, hospitality, and small businesses, knowledge and experience with any of these stakeholders are preferred.
A search committee member will be at the Academy of Management annual meeting in August 2018 and can informally meet with potential applicants to answer any questions. If you would like to schedule a meeting, please send your curriculum vitae to search committee Chair, Professor Nick Dahan:
[email protected] before August 10, 2018.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The incumbent is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
For full consideration, submit a complete application including a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a statement of research and teaching interests, a published work that best represents your current research profile, and teaching evaluations. This position is a full-time, tenure track position and is open until filled. All prospective applicants must apply online at: https://csumb.edu/up/prospective-employees.
For priority consideration, completed applications must be received by the screening deadline of September 23, 2018, although position is open until filled. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
A completed online application and all required materials must be received by University Personnel by 5:00 p.m. on the priority screening date listed above to be guaranteed a review. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map). Please check the link provided for the respective hours and the location.
CSU Monterey Bay is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to: Age, Disability, Race or Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Identity or Expression, Nationality, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Genetic Information, Veteran or Military Status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Briefly list your area(s) of research and teaching expertise.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Briefly describe why you would like to work for the University and how your contributions would enhance the CSUMB Vision Statement.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Your feedback is important. Please take a moment to let us know how you found out about this employment opportunity?
- Cal State Monterey Bay - Website
- CSU Careers - Website
- Chronicle of Higher Education - Website
- Inside Higher Ed - Website
- Higher Ed Jobs - Website
- Diversity Jobs - Website
- Diverse Issues - Website
- Hispanic Outlook - Website
- Latinos in Higher Education - Website
- Women in Higher Education - Website
- Employee Referral
- If you selected Other, please list here.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Teaching Statement
- Research Statement
- Research Sample
- Teaching Evaluations