Dean of Extended Education and International Programs
Open Until FilledPriority Screening Date 11/11/2018 Recruitment Status Apply today! Application Screening Date: November 11, 2018. Position Description
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7,000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral.
Under the general supervision of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean provides administrative leadership to the development and expansion of continuing education that respond to regional, state, and international markets; and administrative support of international programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advance the Vision of the University and the Mission of Extended Education and International Programs.
- Provide leadership and advocacy for strategic, budgetary, and enrollment planning.
- Provide leadership and coordination of summer and winter session programs and multi-site, multi-discipline extended education programs.
- Make effective decisions with faculty and staff input.
- Create an effective team in the College of Extended Education and International Programs, including recruiting, developing and evaluating staff.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other units on campus, including with other deans, enrollment services, and administration and finance.
- Participate in university, community, and international partner relations.
- Work to increase program visibility and outreach in the local region and beyond.
- In collaboration with other deans and academic affairs staff, provide oversight of academic programs and curricula, including upholding standards of rigor and academic excellence.
- Assist other deans and program directors in faculty recruitment.
The successful candidate will be:
- An Academic Administrator with demonstrated experience in transparent budget development and strategic budget management; knowledge of strategic enrollment and planning; facility with needs assessment and opportunity analysis; understanding of organizational structures; ability to implement the University’s strategic priorities; ability to address the needs of a growing university; and the courage to be accountable for decisions.
- Experienced in developing academic programs in collaboration with others specifically designed to address the learning needs of an ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse student population. Appreciation of innovative pedagogies, including technology-enhanced learning strategies.
- Experienced in international education and stewarding partnerships.
- A Student-Centered Academic Leader and Advocate who understands the value and importance of multiculturalism and social equity, including with international students and partners; values collaboration, community-building, and shared governance; seeks widespread participation in decision-making; models integrity, ethical reflection and practice; mentors and fosters leadership skills in others; takes a leadership role in faculty/employee relations and performance; and creates a culture of civility and respect among faculty and staff.
- A Visionary Leader who can develop and sustain strong and collegial relationships with faculty, students, staff, and administrators; balance advocacy with the needs of the wider campus community; provide leadership, stability, unit coherence, and strategic direction for the planning and implementation of systems in support of CSUMB’s Founding Vision and core values and who can garner campus and community for programs in the college.
- A Creative Leader who understands new paradigms in higher education, including innovative pedagogies and on-line learning, and who has the capacity to analyze and respond to changing economic and social trends for meeting the needs of students in general and the adult learner in particular and who can develop revenue-generating programs.
- Be a seasoned, decisive leader and diplomat with strong organizational and consensus building skills, integrity, and the ability to inspire staff and lead by example.
- Terminal degree.
- Leadership in a field of Extended, Continuing, or Adult Education.
- Demonstrated interest in International Education.
- At least five years of administrative experience as a dean, associate dean, department chair, or comparable position.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, policy development, and budget oversight.
- Evidence of effective and ethical leadership and management through collaborative and shared decision-making.
- Evidence of strong, effective, ethical, and collegial collaboration as a member of an academic administrative team.
- Evidence of excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Experience in administering or working with programs that serve an educationally, ethnically, and linguistically diverse student population with the capacity to understand and help implement the University’s Vision and core values.
- Experience enhancing community relations and promoting the role of the organization in the campus and externally.
The ideal candidate will have skills, knowledge, and leadership experience in the following areas that are aligned with CSUMB’s core values and vision:
- Strategic planning and policy development, advocacy, and management skills.
- Experience in a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience in a higher education system in California and familiarity with the California State University.
- Proven record of generating external funding.
- Outcomes-based education and assessment of student learning.
- Service learning, reciprocal community partnering, and/or field-based experiences in teaching and learning.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property;
- authority to commit financial resources of the university through contracts greater than $10,000;
- access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards; and
- control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access.
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority, will be required to participate in annual training, and to immediately forward to the Clery Director all reports of crimes brought to their attention pursuant to the Clery Act and California State Education Code, Chapter 16, of the Donahue Higher Education Act, Section 67380.
This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
This position is a designated position in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University’s liability coverage.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
Commensurate with experience. This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; an excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance; long-term disability coverage; life insurance; educational incentives; and retirement benefits. For further information, please click: Management Benefits Summary. The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, please click: Employee Housing.How to Apply
For full consideration, submit the required documents by 5:00 p.m. on the priority screen date listed above. For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library (map).
CSU Monterey Bay is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to: Age, Disability, Race or Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Identity or Expression, Nationality, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Genetic Information, Veteran or Military Status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.Quick Link for Job Posting http://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/4457 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- What is the highest level of education you have achieved?
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Other Terminal Degree
- How many years of administrative experience do you have as a dean, associate dean, department chair or comparable position?
- * Your feedback is important. Please take a moment to let us know how you found out about this employment opportunity.
- AOA (CSU Auxiliary Job Board) - Website
- Cal State Monterey Bay - Website
- CSU System-Wide - Website
- Chronicle of Higher Education - Website
- Dice - Website
- Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs - Website
- HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium) - Website
- Indeed - Website
- LinkedIn - Website
- Monterey Bay Jobs - Website
- Monster - Website
- Other - Website
- Print Ad
- Professional Site - Website
- Chronicle of Philantrophy
- Inside Higher Ed - Career
- Another Source Recruitment
- If you didn't see the specific name of where you found our vacancy announcement, please enter that name here. Thank you!
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor