Associate Vice President for Finance
Open Until FilledPriority Screening Date 10/14/2018 Recruitment Status Apply today! Application Screening Begins October 15, 2018. Position Description
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7,000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral.
Under the general direction of Vice President for Administration and Finance / CFO, The Associate Vice President for Finance is responsible for leadership and support to the following areas: Accounting and Financial Services, including Payroll; University Budget; Administrative Systems Management; Business and Support Services, including Procurement, Contracts and Property; Enterprise Risk Management. For more information, please visit: CSU Monterey Bay – Finance.
Direct reports include the Director of Accounting, Director of Budget and Planning, Director of Business and Support Services, Director of Administrative Systems Management, Director of Enterprise Risk Management, and Finance Administrative Specialist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
University Revenue and Expenditure Control
- Oversees the preparation of financial documents.
- Analyzes and interprets financial documents for conformance to established policies and procedures and/or government regulations.
- Manages the reporting of financial information from all operations.
- Responsible for investment management, cash management, and debt financing activities.
- Works with facilities planning, design and construction staff and budget director to develop the campus capital outlay projects and administer capital outlay expenditures.
- Ensures that CSUMB auxiliary organizations’ financial policies and practices comply with all CSU, regulatory, legal, and prudent business standards; monitors internal and external deadlines and requirements; acts as primary contact for tax issues.
- Directs financial forecasting.
- Minimizes liability to the University by ensuring compliance with governing regulations and addressing risk management issues.
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Budget and Planning in the areas pertaining to planning and budgeting processes.
Fiscal Operations and Office Management and Leadership
- Develops capacity of financial and business operations to continue to meet the needs of a growing campus in a high quality, customer-oriented, and cost effective manner.
- Formulates department goals and objectives, sets priorities and evaluates staff performance.
- Develops and controls budget for Finance departments.
- Organizes staff to meet all campus fiscal demands, and assesses the level of service offered the campus community to maximize affordability and accountability through partnership and teamwork.
- Implements systems, procedures, processes and new approaches that continually promote and assure quality improvement.
University fiscal integrity and audit compliance
- Reviews the output of all fiscal departments to ensure the quality and integrity of the financial data and ensure that all applicable reporting deadlines are met.
- Recommends, develops and implements new or revised fiscal policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with changes in law or regulations that affect fiscal operations.
- Interprets University, CSU, and governmental regulations for expenditures, fiscal control and accountability and recommend appropriate actions.
- Ensures that fiscal and business activities comply with federal, state, CSU, and local agency requirements.
- Provides fiscal leadership to this reporting unit and oversight to the campus community for fiscal policy adherence.
- Acts as the point of contact for all audit activities within the University.
- Reviews all audit findings and implements corrective action as required.
University fiscal policy and procedure advisement and development
- Participates as a member of various University committees, teams and work groups. Attends regular meetings of Administration and Finance management team and other groups, as required.
- Interprets laws and regulations to assist administrators at all levels in resolving fiscal problems.
- Provides fiscal consultation for new program review.
- Facilitates communications through campus, system-wide and other various forums.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of: integrated planning and development of fiscal resources; business and financial practices.
Skilled in: finance and fund accounting, and the ability to apply both to higher education; use of computerized information and financial systems in financial analysis and reporting; working successfully with a team of employees to establish goals and meet deadlines; strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
Ability to: analyze data and information from diverse sources to create comprehensive financial plans and to provide appropriate interpretation of federal, state, and local laws and regulations; explain complex financial information to people without a background in finance or accounting; develop positive and effective working relationships with both internal and external individuals and groups; promote a service-oriented environment; develop effective recommendations for policy development and implementation; work effectively in a multiethnic/multicultural environment.Minimum Qualifications
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance or related field and a minimum of eight years of progressively responsible management experience in fiscal services.Specialized Skills Preferred Qualifications
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
- A Master’s degree in business, public administration, accounting, finance, or related field. Experience in higher education or large, complex non-profits.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated competence/knowledge in a collective bargaining environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive, and Calendar); Oracle-PeopleSoft/CMS baseline system; intranet drives; and internet browsers.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check)
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position is a designated position in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file a Statement of Economic Interest subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property;
- authority to commit financial resources of the university through contracts greater than $10,000;
- responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access;
- access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards; and
- control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority, will be required to participate in annual training, and to immediately forward to the Clery Compliance Officer all reports of Clery Act crimes brought to their attention.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods.Compensation and Benefits
Commensurate with experience. This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes: a vacation accrual rate of 16-hours per month; an excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance; long-term disability coverage; life insurance; educational incentives; and retirement benefits. For further information, please visit: Management Benefits Summary at https://goo.gl/GN9XkH. The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, Employee Housing at https://goo.gl/g7VAZG.How to Apply
For full consideration, submit the required documents by 5:00 p.m. on the priority screen date listed above. For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library (map).
CSU Monterey Bay is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to: Age, Disability, Race or Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Identity or Expression, Nationality, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Genetic Information, Veteran or Military Status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.Quick Link for Job Posting http://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/4491 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How many years of management experience do you have in fiscal services?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Your feedback is important. Please take a moment to let us know how you found out about this employment opportunity.
- AOA (CSU Auxiliary Job Board) - Website
- Cal State Monterey Bay - Website
- CSU System-Wide - Website
- Chronicle of Higher Education - Website
- Dice - Website
- Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs - Website
- HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium) - Website
- Indeed - Website
- LinkedIn - Website
- Monterey Bay Jobs - Website
- Monster - Website
- Other - Website
- Print Ad
- Professional Site - Website
- Chronicle of Philantrophy
- Inside Higher Ed - Career
- Another Source Recruitment
- If you didn't see the specific name of where you found our vacancy announcement, please enter that name here. Thank you!
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor