Postdoctoral Research Associate - Chemistry
Postdoctoral Research Associate - ChemistryJob no: 495734
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Applications Open: Sep 28 2018
General Summary of Position:
Professor Yan’s lab is developing nanotherapeutics to combat antimicrobial resistance. The goal of this project is to investigate the mechanism of how nanotherapeutics target bacteria. Specifically, the project involves the synthesis of carbohydrate-functionalized nanomaterials and detailed mechanistic investigations of how they interact and target bacteria. The position requires a strong background in synthetic and materials chemistry and chemical biology as well as extensive knowledge and experience in microbiology and cell biology. The candidate will have demonstrated high research productivity and strong work ethics, and the ability to conduct independent research and collaboration with colleagues from different disciplines.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Earned PhD in biomedical engineering, biology, chemistry or a related field by the time of the appointment
- Strong knowledge in nanomedicine
- Deep understanding of human and bacteria cell structures
- Strong lab techniques in microbiology and molecular biology assays
- A minimal of at least 3 years’ experience working with cell and bacteria cultures
- Ability to design and synthesize functional nanomaterials
- Strong independent problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding. The initial appointment will be for one year with a possibility of renewal based on productivity and performance and the availability of funding.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.