Painter I (multiple positions)
Painter I (multiple positions) Job no: 496890
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Facilities Operations&Services
Salary: Maintenance & Trades Grade 13, Step 1
Applications Open: Dec 10 2018
General Summary of Position:
Incumbents of positions in this series apply paint, varnish and/or stain to all types of surfaces; prepare surfaces for painting; select types and colors of paint, varnish or stain; mix, blend and prepare paints for proper color match; erect staging’s and scaffolding; and perform related work as required.
The basic purpose of this work is to maintain, decorate and protect wood, metal, plaster and other surfaces by applying paints, varnish and/or stains.
This position has 2 openings of 1st and 2nd shift.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Driver's License required
- Applicants must have at least one year of full-time or equivalent part-time, experience in painting work
- Knowledge of the practices and techniques of painting
- Knowledge of the types and uses of painting material such as paints, varnishes stains, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of painting tools such as brushes, rollers, spray machine guns, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand held tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand held power tools such as power saws, power drills, power hammers, etc.
- Knowledge of the properties and characteristics of wood
- Knowledge of the methods of preparation of wood, metal, glass, plaster, cement and other materials and surfaces for painting
- Knowledge of the practices and techniques of mixing and matching paints
- Knowledge of the types and uses of safety or climbing equipment used in painting such as scaffolds, ladders and rigging
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in painting
- Knowledge of chemical solvents used to prepare surfaces for painting and cleanup
- Knowledge of the types of finishes used in painting
- Skill in using small hand tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
- Skill in using hand held power tools such as power saws, power drills, power hammers, etc.
- Skill in the use of painting tools such as rollers, sprayers, etc.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Note: This position has 2 openings of 1st and 2nd shift.
Only Internal (MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union) candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.