Veterans Upward Bound, Instructor
Position Information-Job VacancyPosition Information Position Title Veterans Upward Bound, Instructor Position Type Faculty Full Time or Part Time Part Time Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only) Department Student Services FLSA Exempt Grade PT Faculty Salary Range Hiring Salary Range Grant funded $25 - $30/hr. based on degree attainment. Union/Non Union Non Union Job Description Summary
During the Academic Year, Veterans Upward Bound Instructors are responsible for planning and implementing dynamic, engaging, empowering Academic Year & Summer Component courses. The coursework and classroom environment should encourage and reward reflection, revision, and improvement in the academic courses being taught.
Hours vary based on course schedule and component. Courses offered or assigned may be 90 to 120 minutes in length and meet between 8:30am – 4:30pm during the day, 5:30pm – 9:30pm during the evening Monday -Friday, and some Saturday session between 9:00am – 1:00pm.
Positions available for Largo, MD campus and Northern VA (must be available 10am -4pm for Ft. Belvoir positions).Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required in subject areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Computer Technology.
- Strong academic focus in one or more of the following subject areas: English I-IV; Math-Geometry, Algebra II/Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus/Calculus; Science- Biology, Chemistry, Physics; Foreign Language- Spanish, French, Japanese, Italian; Technology or Careers.
- Previous experience designing academic curriculum (secondary curriculum preferred) or corporate professional development components.
- One year full-time or equivalent part-time experience in providing direct services in a secondary educational or social service environment working with at-risk students (teaching or tutoring), or one year full-time or equivalent part-time experience in providing corporate training.
- Experience and knowledge regarding computer programs such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and instructional technology.
CRITERIA: The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Please ensure that your application and attached documents address the criteria listed below:
- Extent of teaching/training experience
- Extent of experience designing curriculum in academic subjects and/or cultural diversity
- Extent of previous TRIO experience.
- Extent of experience working with diverse groups of individuals.
- Extent of experience and knowledge regarding computer programs such as word processing,spreadsheets, presentation software and instructional technology.
- Extent of demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff and community members in person, on the telephone and in writing.
- Must be able to work a part-time flexible schedule not to exceed 5 hours per week, depending on program needs during the academic year. Day instructor hours are between 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday thru Friday, evenings instructor hours are between 5:30pm – 9:30pm Monday thru Friday. Day and evening instructors may be asked to work some Saturdays between 9:00am -1:00pm based on the needs of the department . Ft. Belvoir instructor hours are between 10am -4pm. All work schedules are subject to change based on department needs.
- Must be able to commit to working a set schedule for approximately two 8 weeks per semester and for two 3 weeks per the summer component.
- Certification or provisional certification to teach in subject area or currently teaching/advising at the secondary/college level, or corporate training experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- This position is grant funded from October 1, 2017 – September 30, 2022 an option for renewal. Salary of $25-$30/hr is based on degree attainment and experience.
- Positions are part-time teaching positions not to exceed 5 hours per week unless requested to substitute at the request of the department manager.
- This recruitment will be used to fill positions located at the Largo, MD Campus and Ft. Belvoir, VA
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate your preference for position location.
- Largo, MD Campus
- Ft. Belvoir, VA
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in subject areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Foreign Language, Computer Technology?
- * Do you have previous experience designing academic curriculum (secondary curriculum preferred) or corporate professional development components?
- * Do you have one year full-time or equivalent part-time experience in providing direct services in a secondary educational or social service environment working with at-risk students (teaching or tutoring), or one year full-time or equivalent part-time experience in providing corporate training?
- * Do you have experience and knowledge regarding computer programs such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and instructional technology?
- * Please explain the extent of your teaching/training experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you reviewed the criteria for this position and addressed each in your application and/or attached documents? This is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae