Instructional Assistant Professor - Creating a Pool
Request/Posting Number 0710930
Classification Title Instructional Assistant Professor - Creating a Pool
Working Title Instructional Assistant Professor - Developmental Math
Job Class # 700500
Type of Position Non-Tenure/Adjunct Faculty
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) Varies based on student enrollment
Department University College - 04910000
Job Category Faculty - Non-Tenure (Adjunct)
General Summary In anticipation of possible openings throughout the academic year, University College at Illinois State University maintains a pool of qualified persons interested in part-time non-tenure track faculty teaching positions in the area of Developmental Math. Applications are accepted continuously and reviewed as vacancies become available. There may not be an actual vacancy at the time you apply.
The purpose of the position of the NTT Developmental Math Instructor is to serve students by assisting them in closing the gaps of their mathematic learning.
The instructor works in conjunction with the other units in University College to assist in student success. The instructor works with the Associate Director and Coordinator of Curriculum and Instruction, other members of the Developmental Math faculty and staff, other staff members of University College, including academic advisors and campus constituents to increase student persistence and success.
The position reports directly to the Associate Director of University College who reports to the Director of University College.
-Be directly responsible for the daily instruction in Math 102 and/or 104.
-Provide 1-2 posted office hours per week and be available by appointment to sufficiently accommodate student accessibility hours.
-Plan instruction & assessment; provide follow up and feedback to students
-Be responsible for ensuring that attendance is taken, compiled, and submitted
These positions are represented by the Illinois State University Education Association and may have associated dues or fees.
Additional Information: University College helps students make successful transitions to Illinois State University, achieve their educational goals, and realize their academic potential in the first year and beyond.
Required Qualifications 1. Bachelor's Degree
2. Prior teaching experience in high school or community college
3. Knowledge of learning theory, instructional delivery methodology, current best practices and pedagogy
4. Excellent interpersonal skills including listening, communication, and teamwork and a commitment to student success
5. Ability to work with diverse populations of students, peers, and public
6. Working knowledge of common campus technology including course management system and basic office software (Office 365)
7. Must be able to work independently and without intense supervision, but also effectively contribute to an instructional team with a learner-centered and service-oriented philosophy
8. Demonstrated experience in working with students, faculty, departmental staff and campus administrators as well as off-campus contacts
9. Evidence of a positive professional demeanor that contributes to a positive and fulfilling work environment and the ability to promote a positive and productive work environment
10. State law mandates demonstrable oral proficiency in the English language as a requirement for this position.
11. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: 1. Master's Degree in Mathematics or Math Education
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees 1. Bachelor's Degree
Hiring Rate/Range Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Work Hours Varies
Proposed Starting Date: 08/16/2018 or 01/01/2019
Posting date 07-24-2018
Closing date Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, email, or mail will not be accepted.
Please complete the faculty employment application. Along with your application, attach separate documents representing a cover letter, reference list (at least three professional references and contact information), and resume/C.V. Please specify in the cover letter the area/s for which you are applying.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/ Veteran.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information University College:
Pamm Ambrose, Associate Director
Departmental Homepage https://universitycollege.illinoisstate.edu/
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test Not Applicable
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
2. Ability to conduct or attend meetings in various locations across campus.
3. Physical demands are minimal and involve manual dexterity as it applies to typical office and classroom related tasks (technology use, writing on the whiteboard, typing, etc.)
4. Must be able to communicate effectively in small and large group settings.