UNTHSC Controller - 926240
The System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting. The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
This position is located at the University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX.
This position is responsible for performing complex (journey-level) accounting work. Work involves preparing financial transactions, documents, reports, and reconciliations. May specialize in some phase of accounting work such as governmental, capital asset, cost, payroll, or debt. May assist in planning accounting and administrative support processes. May play an integral part in the maintenance of accounting records in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), state and federal guidelines, policies, and procedures. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Prepares financial transactions, reports, and schedules; prepares and reviews general journal entries; and approves and posts journal entries prepared by others.
* Prepares periodic analyses of account balances; and reconciles and prepares technical reports on payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and other financial areas as required.
* Reviews accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with GAAP, state and federal guidelines and institutional policies and procedures; and researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, bank statements, or appropriation balances and reports findings.
* Maintains systems and controls necessary to provide accurate accounts of financial transactions; and classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
* Checks accounting operations in progress, and reviews completed financial records for accuracy and conformance with legal and departmental policies and procedures.
* Analyzes and recommends improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting processes and accompanying procedures.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field and four years of related professional experience in accounting; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of financial processes and programs; of governmental accounting; and of laws and regulations pertaining to financial operations.
* Thorough knowledge of GAAP, and procedures affecting accounting and financial reporting.
* Ability to interpret and apply accounting theory, to plan and coordinate financial programs, to plan procedures and coordinate accounting operations, to interpret laws and regulations, to communicate effectively, and to train others.
* Experience with Microsoft Office, primarily Excel and Word, including pivot tables, and v-lookup.
* Strong communication, and critical thinking skills.
* Ability to analyze, consolidate, and present accounting data in a clear concise form.
* Ability to work independently, and coordinate work with others in a team environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Commensurate with experience
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
Official Job Title
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled