ASSIST DIR, BUILDING MAINTENANCE (FMD)
ASSIST DIR, BUILDING MAINTENANCE (FMD)
Fac Mgmt-Maintenance Overhead Code
The Assistant Director for Building Maintenance is responsible for planning, coordinating and directing all repair, maintenance and renewal activities of University building structural components. This includes exterior building envelop, such as, roofs, walls, doors, and windows, and interior components including walls, doors, windows, and floor and wall finishes. The Assistant Director is responsible for directing and overseeing key and lock services for all of Duke which includes the Medical Center and off-site Duke owned and leased facilities. The Assistant Director will report to the Director for Facility Operations and will assist with various administrative and management functions.
(specific to position as determined by manager)
- Provide integrated Building Maintenance services supporting the University campus including classrooms, research laboratories, vivariums, athletic centers, performing arts auditoriums, lecture halls, administration offices, Duke Chapel, housing, auxiliary buildings and parking decks.
- Assemble the appropriate set of multidisciplinary teams which integrates support of people, process and technology to ensure the safe, secure and sustainable functionality of the built environment.
- Develop a high performing operations team that sets and achieves service quality performance goals, objectives and policies in support of the FMD and University mission.
- Build a strong working relationship with collective bargaining unit Local 465 leadership and staff to ensure no interruption of service. In conjunction with HR, participate in negotiations, grievance resolution and jurisdictional interpretations.
- Participate in developing and implementing the Facility Operations Safety Program that ensures work hazards are identified, appropriate safety procedures are written, and staff are knowledgeable and comply with all program requirements.
- Monitor, assess, repair, renew and upgrade facilities and systems to ensure the facility fully supports the occupants and functions housed within them.
- Develop, recommend and implement strategic plans and programs to improve efficiency, heighten performance and ensure the facility meets University regulations, and OSHA health and safety requirements.
- Manage applicable portion of the Facility Operations Expense Budget. Estimate, track, forecast and report budgets and sub-budgets; analyze trends and make budget recommendations.
- Oversee operation, maintenance, repair and service for all building structural components for the University campus.
- Oversee planning and execution of all work to ensure day-to-day compliance with work processes and key metrics. Directs the documentation, implementation and execution of workflow process (i.e., planning, scheduling, preventative maintenance, predictive maintenance and work execution) to provide continuous improvement of maintenance practices.
- Participate in development of supplemental contract maintenance agreements with external service providers to provide specialty services and additional labor in response to work volume changes and deadlines.
- Maintain condition of all exterior building surfaces to prevent infiltration of water and air and minimize heat loss including roofs, skylights, curtain wall systems, window walls, pedestrian doors, vehicle doors and all roads and walkways leading to each facility.
- Maintain, install, repair and replace key and lock systems for all of Duke which includes the Medical Center and off-site Duke owned and leased facilities.
- Develop new procedures and update existing procedures supporting Facility Operations and University Campus strategies.
- Regularly evaluate work output for quality, efficiency and timeliness. Identify continuous quality improvement opportunities for each maintenance service area, determine appropriate improvements and implement through change control program.
- Investigate and identify equipment, tools and processes that improve operating efficiency and / or workplace safety.
- Ensure adherence to SOPs which governs all work in change-controlled buildings, systems and processes.
- Provide technical guidance to maintenance engineers, managers, supervisors and project managers.
- Provide career development and performance management guidance for technical staff.
- Support OPM project teams during pre-construction planning activities as well as during construction of projects which expand the University infrastructure and facilities. This may include drafting technical requirements and specifications, as well as reviewing architectural, engineering and construction submittals.
Additional Job Functions:
- Participate in establishing overall strategic vision and direction for Facility Operations Leadership Team. Provide guidance and coach leaders to develop high-performing work teams within own functional areas.
- Represent Facility Operations on Building Maintenance services to the University. Periodically seek one-on-one feedback from stakeholders on Building Systems performance against expectations.
- Ensure Building Maintenance maintains consistent compliance with University and other governing body standards.
- Utilize knowledge and communication skills to influence the thinking of or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations.
- Direct and control Building Maintenance services through Supervisors and Planners with overall responsibility for the performance of those assigned areas.
- Lead and / or participate in University committees.
- Attends and participates in professional and industry group meetings and stay current with Facility Operations, Building Maintenance and University industry trends.
- Participate in establishing requirements for Facility Operations professional growth and development. Participate in skills gap analysis and develop and implement applicable training programs based on the level of skills and experience needed.
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting appropriate methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining desired results. Provide technical expertise to Facility Operations Teams where needed.
- Provide other related duties as assigned by the Director for Facility Operations.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2754 ASSIST DIR, BUILDING MAINTENANCE
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field.
Six years directly related leadership experience or ten years experienceand proven performance in a construction or maintenance environment. Atleast five years experience managing maintenance and repair operations,including structural trades. Experience in a higher education setting orother highly complex environment preferred.Demonstrated management, supervisory and motivational skills. Experiencemanaging in a workplace governed by a collective bargaining agreementpreferred.Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used inthe building trades.Ability to plan and schedule work, including determining staffing,equipment and material/supply needs.Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering plans,diagrams and specifications.Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicateeffectively to a wide range of audiences, including senior Universitymanagement, faculty, staff from other departments, students, and others.Demonstrated ability to create and maintain positive customer andstakeholder relationships.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.